Well hear it goes....
Mary and I had thought about Eden Bay for quite some time but a few things made us hesitant.
They included the trip from the airport to EB, the construction being done at the resort, the price and lack of A/C.
All but the price was an issue, but not a big one. We booked with a 20% discount on the Oceanfront and Eden Bay did not extend any other discounts even though, at the time we went, they were offering 50% discount. We found that odd because there were only 30 guests in this massive resort. We thought they could have done something. The AC was in and the construction was non-existent.
The trip would have been OK, if not for, once again, an American Airline screw-up.
Our plane form JFK was late into San Juan and our connecting flight to Puerto Plata had not left the gate. Be that as it may, American would not allow us on the plane and gave away our seats. Mary cried and I screamed! At the “courtesy” desk, we were shuffled off to another flight that would leave us in Santo Domingo. IOt was that or stay the night in PR. With only 5 days vacation, I was ready to head home. We were told by AA agent that it would be 2 hours from Puerto Plata so we took it. WRONG!!!!! IT WAS FOUR HORRIFIC HOURS IN A NON-A/C CAR WITH A BARREL IN THE DRUNK FOR A GAS TANK AND SMASHED WINDSHIELD!
Through the rain, passed 3 mudslides and with no cell phone signal, we were not liking this at all. I think DR is the poorest island I’ve ever been on. The people, however, are very friendly. Two people told me that if something would have happened to us in our travels, villagers would have come to our aid in a moment.
When I finally got a cell signal or two I connected with Chrissy and EB to make sure someone would meet us at the other airport and dinner would be still available.
We traveled that day from 4am to 8:30pm to get to EB. 16 hours. A couple from Switzerland took only 13 hours. The EB driver waited 3 hours at the Puerto Plata airport.
My thanks to him and Chrissy for their help.
Now…this is no reflection on EB, because it was great. We would absolutely return, but make sure our flight is direct! Eden Bay saved dinner for us and had 2 bottles of wine waiting.
On that night, Carnival night, we were entertained by dancers and music up near the restaurant. I would give the food at EB a 6 out of 10. For the price, it wasn’t great but it wasn’t terrible.
The resort is very clean and massive! We took out tour of the place at night and woke up to beautiful surroundings in the morning. We opted for the beachfront right in back of the bar and pools near the beach. I thought it was perfect! The rooms are huge, quiet and comfortable.
During our stay, we got to know that social director and most of the bars. We took part in most of the daily activities and still had plenty of time to relax. The pools are warm and spa by the Cliffside is very hot and inviting. We also ventured to the pool each evening after entertainment as it was still very comfortable. We never left the resort and found no need to. Hammocks by the shore, snacks at the bar and a little snorkeling along in the surf filled our days. I also learned a new game. It’s called Testicle Toss! I’ll explain some other time! Carrina, Alex and Orlando were just some of the employees that catered to us constantly. Carrina, by the way, makes a mean MammaWanna and Bloody Mary vodka mix! She should sell it and paint the bottles like MaDouDou does.

Although the tips were included, I left some cash in the envelope at the end of our stay. Pirate night was a blast! They roasted a pig on the beach one night and built a giant barn fire. I got great shots of Mary dancing in front of it. Because there were only 30 guests, service to the pool and hot tub from the bar was not a constant thing. Minor complaint, but no big deal! There were other things that made up for that.
Now for some more insight on EB…..Through their renovations, Eden Bay needed to update their furniture, beds etc. This is what they did. Instead of throwing the used furniture away or giving it away, they decided to have a sale for the employees. Some of these employees, by the way, only make $200 a month! That’s correct…$200 a month!
One mattress..$5.00. One chair…$1.00. They did this to make the employees feel worth and not feel like they were getting charity. Then….EB took all the money and threw the employees a party. With still more money left, they split what was left and gave an envelope of money back to each employee. Is that a story to tell or what?
The employees are very happy to work there. When they show their family photos what they look like in their uniforms with the staff, they are very proud.
Most resorts would shift the money away from the island. From what I’ve heard they give it back to the resort and the people.
One more short story……Alex, the social director, waits for a couple from Canada to return each year. With them, they bring 6 suitcases filled with shoes, books and clothing. Alex meets them at the airport and distributes the stuff to the local children.
Ya gotta cry when you hear things like this. Maybe that’s why I want to go back!
Our flight back was OK except for a 4 hours layover in San Juan. Going to work on Monday was grueling. We will, however, definitely return!
Photos will soon appear on our web site along with this report.

--------------------
Rich & Mary
Lovers of warm summer breezes, French wine & cheeses. stsomewhere