Don_G filed a series of reports from Tortola, while on his recent trip there. With his permission, I have cut and pasted his reports so that they are all in one post, but divided up into individual reports, as he originally posted them. His on-the-spot reports are a great addition to the trip report library.<br><br>#1<br>Arrived yesterday via American Eagle @5:30 after another uneventful trip from St. Louis, via Chicago. Our daughter and son in law reside here so we are staying with them till we leave on the 29th. They were visiting us in STL for the past two weeks and we all came back to the BVI together. Their jeep was parked at the airport so we pack up and headed to their apartment. The new terminal building looks nice but I will really miss the old building. We put the luggage in our rooms and headed to Pussers West End. It has become a tradition with our first night on the island. I get a Carib w/lime and a cheeseburger and my wife gets their chicken wings. Then just sit back and enjoy some island music by Pan Vibes, and more Carib's. We were back at the apartment by 9 and crashed after a long day that started at 3:30. Their apartment overlooks Road Town and Road Harbor on McNamara Hill. I was up about 7 am and fixed a cup of coffee and went out on the balcony to soak up a nice breeze and watched the town wake up. We lounged around until noon and then went out the SFD road to the Zion Hill turnoff. Then went thru Carrot and Apple Bay until we turned up a hill and headed to the Ridge Road. Then down to Josiah's Bay and the Secret Garden for lunch. If you have never had a meal there you need to try it. I had the meatloaf sandwich that came with a pasta salad and curry slaw. I splurged at the end with a piece of peanut butter chocolate pie. Next we headed out to Beef Island to get a closer look at the airport and also a closer look at some of the homes out there. Made a stop at Rite Way to stock up on food before heading back to the apartment for a relaxing evening. Tomorrow we plan to go to Smugglers and a Mother's Day dinner at the Sugar Mill. I'll try to add another post in the next day or so. Don G.<br><br><br>#2<br>Sunday morning we ate a light breakfast and about 10 headed out to Smugglers. Not many people there when we arrived. We picked our favorite spot past the honor bar and immediately got wet. I snorkeled the reef while my wife and daughter just hung around the shallows. The water was a little rough as it appeared the tide was coming in, and was not that clear. Stayed there around 2 hours then took the back route over to the ferry dock. Stopped and looked at some of the houses on the way. Real nice places. Went back to the apartment for some lunch and decided to relax (nap) before heading to Sugar Mill for dinner. No sooner than we laid down the drummers (band) started their practice session in the open field next to the government building and cruise ship dock. We had 7 pm reservations at the Sugar Mill and arrived about 15 miunutes early. Had a drink on the deck and then just a great meal. Our selections for the evening was prime rib and red snapper. Topped it off wit some chocolate pecan pie. And the service was good too. Noticed a small cruise ship pulling in to the dock Monday mornign. Couldn't have been more than a hundred or so people on board. Our daughter has a part time job on St. Thomas so we took the 7:30 ferry with her. Took a taxi to the medical complex and saw where she worked. Then my wife and I walked to McDonalds for a little breakfast and over to the K-Mart. Havensight Mall and the cruise ship dock was not far away so we hoofed it down there to look at some of the shops. Took a taxi to Main Street and did a little shopping. Had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and meet our daughter at the ferry dock for the trip back on the 4pm ferry. We all had a full day and decided to order some carryout from Capriccio's. Another good meal. Tuesday morning we had breakfast at Capriccios. You should try the french toast if you get a chance. Stopped at the Traffic Dept so I could get a temporary drivers license and then looked at an art gallery up on main street. Hopped in the jeep and headed east to the Marina Cay ferry. Had a good lunch at Pussers. The sky was overcast and the breeze was cool coming off the water. After a long lunch we took a walk up the hill to look around. Took the 2:45 ferry back to Beef Island. It was a delightful day on Marina Cay. Made a stop at Bobbys for some Carib and few other things. Have decided to eat in tonight. Don G.<br><br><br>#3<br>Wednesday morning my wife and I walked down the hill to have breakfast at The Pub. (They no longer have a band on Fri. and Sat. nights. Too many complaints from the residents nearby) Princess was our waitress, as usual. She remembered us from previous years. Hoped to see our friend Odell, but he never passed by. There was a charter briefing going on while we ate. The would be "captain" didn't want to listen to what the person giving the briefing had to say. Didn't even want her to write on the chart. She became upset at one point. Sure glad I wasn't on that boat. We were going to go into town but treked back up the hill instead. Was soaking wet by the time we reached the apartment. I sat on the balcony with a book and fell asleep for a little while. The day was overcast and not as hazy as it has been. Spent the rest of the day just watching the boats coming and going. I can just imagine the joy of the ones going out and the sadness of the ones heading in. A good sized cargo ship docked across the harbor. Had dinner reservations at Spaghetti Junction for 8pm. What a wonderful meal and another favorite of mine. Our daughter was off work on Thursday so we decided to visit some shops in Road Town. Parked in front of Pussers and headed to Main Street. Visited Samarakand jewelers, Sunny Caribbee for some spices and also their art gallery. Then walked down Main Street about 3 blocks to another art gallery. What a nice place. They have small prints for around $35, of places like Smugglers Cove. Just beatuful. Headed back to the car and drove over to Village Cay for a bite to eat. Really like sitting next to the Marina and looking at the "wish" boats. The air was not moving where we were sitting so after lunch we went to the Sea Urchin in the Mill Mall Bldg. to cool down. Then we headed to Columbian Emeralds for a look around. I was a little overheaded so we went back to the apartment. I cooled down while my daughter and wife went to Rite Way to pick up some things for supper. Was sitting on the balcony when the cargo ship left. On it's deck were 12 sailboats and 1 VERY nice looking power boat. Wonder if they were headed to the MED to start the season over there. Ended the evening with a nice home made meal and a little tv. Took our daughter to the ferry dock at West End this morning so we could have the car for the day. Waited around till the ferry left and then headed down the road to Jolly Roger for breakfast. 2 coffees, 2 OJ, and 2 regular breakfasts of bacon, 2 eggs and potatoes and toast came to $17.90. Next it was over to Sopers Hole to walk around and look at the shops. I bot a bottle of cologne. Same price at St. Thomas and a lot cheaper than the states. Headed in to Road Town to go to the music shop. When we were at Sunny Caribbee the other day, they were playing a good sounding cd so we asked to see the cover and the lady told us where it get it. It is called "two guitars" by "caribbean unpluged". $18. Then back up to the apartment to do some wash and add this post. It has been hot the past few days. Not much air moving. Very hazy also. But not to complain as a hot, humid, hazy day in the BVI is certainly better than a good day at work. Will head out to the West End in a little while to meet the ferry. Oh, they are still dredging the dolphin area at Prospect Reef. And in the Beacon, there is an article quoting the CM where he says that a proper request must be submitted before the government will reconsider it's decision. None submitted at press time. (Please, in keeping with the format of this forum, I would appreciate no comments on that subject. I merely wanted to provide an update on the issue.) And lastly. Driving can be an adventure on the island especially when they are laying new asphalt on the blind curves on the SFD highway. Tonight is C & F for dinner. Can't wait. If anyone has a question and does not want to reply to this post. Please send a PM, as I cannot access my regular e-mail. Don G. <br><br><br><br>#4<br>Friday afternoon on the way out to the West End ferry dock it started to rain. Looking up at Mount Sage, the clouds were so low that you couldn't see the top. Picked up our daughter and headed back to RT when it really started to rain. Had dinner at C & F. Chef Clarence's grill area sure looks nice since the renovation. Saturday we spent the day on St. John. Visited Mongoose Junction and the shops by the ferry dock. Had lunch at the Wahoo Cafe. It is located where Pussers used to be. There was a Navy Frigate anchored in Pillsbury Sound. We saw a few of the sailors as we waited for the ferry back to Tortola. Sunday we had lunch at the Secret Garden again. What a great place. We ate in Sunday night. Monday it was lunch at Pussers and a ride over to Brewers Bay. Dinner at Fat Hog Bob's. Tuesday morning we headed out to the West End real early. Breakfast at Jolly Roger and then over to Smugglers for a swim. We had the beach to ourselves for about an hour before anyone else showed up. The Pelicans were having a feast. It was interesting watching them dive in the water especially with us snorkeling so close by. Dinner in the apartment that night. Don G.<br><br><br>#5<br>Wednesday was another early one for us. Back out to WE ferry dock and breakfast at Jolly Roger. Then to the East End to catch the ferry to Marina Cay for a few relaxing hours. Made a quick stop at Capriccios for a flavored tea before heading back out to the WE ferry. Dinner was at Eclipse in the East End. Thursday breakfast at Capriccios. Try the smoked salmon ohmlet. Again, one of my favorites. Then the rest of the day was spent at Brewers Bay. Dinner at Spaghetti Junction, again. Friday we took the ferry over to St. Thomas with our daughter. Had breakfast at the Holiday Inn. Carriccio's or the Pub or Jolly Roger is much better. Walked the streets and had lunch at the Hard Rock. Then basically sat at a little bar in one of the passageways for some drinks and people watch. No cruise ships were in so that made for a nice uncrowded day. Met our daughter back at the ferry dock for the ride home. Had "dinner" at Pussers RT. Saturday we took the 9am Speedys to Virgin Gorda. The rental was waiting for us when we arrived. Said hi to Simon, one of the taxi drivers we have used over the years. If you ever need a taxi when on VG, ask for him. Checked in to Guavaberry, suited up and went to Mad Dog for a bite to eat. Steve, owner of Toad Hall, was in his usual spot and Edith arrived not long after we got there. Our daughter and son in law were married on the grounds of Toad Hall last year and we were able to visit the spot once again. Just a beautiful setting for a wedding. But perhaps, I am partial. And Toad Hall is another place that is tops on my list. Since there were quite a few boats anchored by the Baths, we decided to go to Spring Bay for a dip and a snorkel. It was a good choice, as there were only a few people there. Spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing on the beach. Had drinks at the Mine Shaft and dinner at Giorgio's. Stopped and looked at the stars before heading in to sleep. Just a perfect ending to a perfect day. Sunday we had breakfast at the Bath and Turtle and then a drive up to North Sound. Made some stops along the way to take a few pictures. Next stop was the Mine Shaft for some cool drinks before taking the ferry back to RT. Our daughter and son in law stayed an extra night on VG to celebrate their first wedding anniversary. Dinner for my wife and I was C & F. Only 1 day left in paradise. Don<br><br><br><br>#6<br>Sunday afternoon I made reservations for 7:30 at C & F. We left the apartment about 7 and arrived early. Sat up by the grill and watched Chef Clarence perform his magic. I ordered the swordfish and my wife had the baby back ribs. We were served almost immediately and were back at the apartment by 8:30. It was the quickest meal we've ever had in the BVI. Was down at the ferry dock by 8:30 to pick up our daughter and son in law returning from Virgin Gorda. Lounged around the apartment till around 10 and went to the West End. Took the road over Zion Hill and headed to Smugglers to take some pictures. Lunch at Pussers and then to Road Town to get a Quito CD. Then back to the apartment to start packing. We spent our last evening in the island at Brandywine and had a great dinner. Was up early Tuesday to finish packing and to see our daughter off to work. The last few moments together are always the hardest. Our son in law took us to the airport. Looked at the model of the new airport they have on display while waiting for our flight to leave. Had a tight connection in Chicago, but we made it. Arrived in St. Louis on time. And so did our luggage. Our son picked up and we were home by 9:30. It was another great vacation in paradise. Don<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>