I thought I'd give you guys an idea of snorkeling in the BVI from our trip December 14-22nd, 2006.

Our first snorkel was The Indians off Norman Island. I believe there are around 6 red/pink mooring balls here (one was broken), and 2 blue dinghy balls. The rock formations/wall are neat, looks like the coral is dying to me. Quite a few varieties of fish and coral, but I wouldn't say it's "teaming with life." I gave it a 5 out of 10 (10 being 'Mexico Rocks' in Belize).

The Baths @ Virgin Gorda. Around 10 red/pink balls, and Anchoring is also an option (get there early). Not as many large fish as I recall from a few years ago. Lots of coral spread out amongst "The baths". There were a couple of neat pockets of coral which had lots of life on it. A lot of broken fans here. I'd give this a 6 of 10.

Marina Cay. Back behind the moorings up against the island there is KILLER snorkeling. Ask the person at the Marina Cay dock if you need guidance. This was the most alive and interesting snorkeling I saw in the BVI this trip. Large schools of fish, lots of variety, coral looked good, you could spend hours here, and it's about 100 yards from your mooring ball. CAUTION: I experienced small jellyfish about the size of a US quarter here. One brushed up against my neck for a mild sting that went away quickly. That didn't stop me from enjoying this beautiful spot. 8 out of 10.

Sandy Spit. Anchoring only. I snorkeled between Sandy Spit and Green Cay. STRONG current here, not very impressive. I was told that snorkeling is better out where the waves break just off Sandy Spit the other direction towards Sandy Cay. You might feel like you are out too far from shore, but it's not that far. For me, a 3 of 10 for snorkeling, but this place is SO BEAUTIFUL you can not miss it. Consider stopping for lunch.

Monkey Point - Guana. 5 or 6 red/pink balls, anchoring further out. 2 blue balls for dinghies near the beach (although I'm unsure why there are there since you are not to set foot on Guana). There were hundreds of thousands of minnows here which led to many pelicans, many Jacks and a few small Barracuda chasing them. The reef/coral looked alive and well, but it lacked a wide variety. I'd give it a 6 of 10.

Hope that helps some of you...

Rich