Just returned on Saturday from 7 wonderful days on St. Lucia. Our group consisted of myself, my husband, daughter and sister. We did rent a car even though the driving was on the opposite side as well as the steering. My husband did a wonderful job of driving even though at one point I commented that I felt like I was in the front seat of a rollercoaster when going around the mountains. I will say that driving these roads are not meant for the sqeamish! The first 2 day we stayed at Talk to Me Cool Spot which had a view of the Pitons. It was reasonably priced at $125/night with breakfast included. Michael and Andrea, the owners, were great and Andrea is a fabulous cook featuring local cuisine. I even tried the stewed goat which was very tasty! While in Souffreire, we went to the rainforest and hiked down the mountain to the bottom where there was a beautiful waterfall and pool that you could take a dip in. Next we saw the drive in volcano which was quite amazing and stinky. We even took a soak in the hot mineral springs bath to soak our aching muscles from our rainforest hike! We headed to the the Hummingbird resort for drinks and a dip in their pool. Back to change clothes and off to Ladera, resort set between the 2 Pitons, for sunset cocktails. This place was amazing! Andrea cooked a fabulous dinner for us at Talk to Me and off to bed! Next morning, after another fabulous breakfast, we checked out and headed over to Anse Chastanet to see the black sand beach! My daughter and I snorkeled a little and after a cocktail headed out for our drive to Gros Islet on the north tip of the island. We stop along the way at a roadside vendor and buy some trinkets and also stop and get some cassava bread hot out of the oven with cherries and raisins. Yummy! It is a breath taking drive with some beautiful vistas! We arrive at Bay Guesthouse where we will stay for the next 5 nights. It is owned by a British and French young couple who were very sweet. It is right on the water with beautiful sunsets and priced right at $45/night. There was no A/C but was never a problem...however the mosquitos were...but we had bug spray with us! It had a small kitchenette in the rooms so we went to the grocery store and provisioned for breakfast and lunch. We spent the next 5 days hiking Pigeon Island, laying and swimming on the beach right next to the guesthouse, touring to other beaches,Marigot Bay, visiting Reduit Beach on Rodney Bay and being lazy in the hammocks on the patio of the guesthouse! Our last night was the Friday night jump-up in Gros Islet. We walked from our guesthouse and enjoyed a night of people watching. Locals set up stations and sell local cuisine. My husband decided for some unknown reason to try the pig's tail...that was a mistake! The next morning we say our goodbyes and get ready for the long drive to Vieux Fort for our flight. Again, it is an amazing drive! We stop for lunch at Debbie's in the town of Choiseul. The best food of the week and the most reasonably priced. More food than we could possibly eat! We make it to the airport and the long wait to get home.

St. Lucia is by far the most lush island I have been to and quite beautiful! Only dislike would be the locals harassing you for money when you are trying to relax. For the most part they left you alone if you gave them a firm No Thank You!
Favorites: Marigot Bay, snorkeling at Smuggler's Cove, cocktails at Ladera.

Here are some pics: http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos...1999&page=1

Jenny