I just wanted to share a fantastic day in the BVI.

Although I’ve visited Virgin Gorda on a number of occasions before, yesterday will stand out as one of the best days I’ve spent in the BVI. Along with my niece and her gorgeous baby (who live on Tortola) we caught the morning ferry from Road Town to VG. We rented a jeep through Speedy’s who were very friendly and efficient to deal with. Our first stop was Top of The Baths for coffee and French toast to refuel the batteries and then a quick drive back down to Savannah Bay - breathtaking! I visited Savannah Bay a number of years ago by boat by this was my first time by land and it will certainly not be my last this trip. Walking along the water’s edge at Savannah made me grin from ear to ear and reminded me how lucky I am to visit these beautiful islands.

A quick drive over Gorda Peak with outstanding views of North and South Sound took us to Leverick Bay for lunch. Excellent food and service – thank you Tina – the fish sandwich was good. Having never visited Copper Mine before, we decided that it was worth a visit and wow!, was it ever – the views from this part of Virgin Gorda are stunning and it was interesting to read the history of the mine.

We had an hour or so to kill before we had to return the jeep and catch the ferry back to Tortola, so we decided that another beach was in order. We chose to stop by Spring Bay – it was a very easy walk to the beach from where we parked the jeep and made a nice alternative to The Baths and Devils Bay. Lots of grottos between the boulders to explore and sands so hot we ran across them to the clear waters to cool our toes!

It was a magical day and one I will not forget. We never felt rushed and everyone we met was, as always, extremely friendly. It’s the people you meet that make a place memorable and Virgin Gorda certainly gets a 10 out of 10.

I have a friend flying in from the UK tomorrow to join me who has never visited the BVI before. I will definitely plan a day trip to Virgin Gorda while she’s here and I know that every other word she utters will be “wow!”

To those who have never visited the BVI before… don’t hesitate. To those who visit the BVI often , I think you know why we smile so much when we’re here.