SXM Trip Report

Day Seven – Thursday, June 7, 2007 – Le Gallion, Anse Marcel, Loterie Farms

Breakfast on the balcony doesn’t get old. The attendants on the beach work hard – up early raking any seaweed that accumulated overnight. Now they’re putting cushions on the chairs, cranking up the yellow umbrellas and taking the bags of seaweed away. Have to remember to tip these guys – they deserve it.

The plan for today – beaches at Anse Marcel and Le Gallion.

Now we know why Le Gallion is sometimes known as “Baby Beach”. The calm, clear shallow waters are perfect for children – and for me. The water is soooooo calm that you can fall asleep on a raft.

We set up our folding beach chairs under two palm trees. These little “quad” chairs that we bought @ Rite Aid (3 for $9.99) are perfect for a day like today. I watch my husband swim out about 100 ft – he stands – the water is only waist high. This is the image of my husband that I love – tan (especially in his yellow bathing suit) smiling, backlit by a sunny blue sky, standing in the palest shade of turquoise water. We swim out to the platform and sunbathe.

Back on our chairs we break out the Caribs, crackers, cheese and grapes. It’s so peaceful. Then we see a big bus pull in – it’s a school trip – about 25 three to seven year olds get out. What well-behaved kids these are. They break into three groups – get a little swimming lesson – sounds of little children giggling – having fun – then they are gone in a hour!

You can rent chairs and umbrellas here – closer to the “Tropical Wave” restaurant on the beach. They also rent out kayaks and windsurfing equipment and you can take a lesson. Chairs = 5 euros Umbrellas = 5 euros.

Next stop is Anse Marcel – we visited here last year and the beach was beautiful. It’s a little hike to the beach from where we parked (and where we are not supposed to park). We discover that the access we used last year is now fenced off by the Radisson (coming soon), so we decide not to chance it.

On our way to Loterie Farms, we decide to stop at Orient and see if Baywatch is open. Good decision. We meet Andy and Cheryl and the best way to describe them is that they’re real – and friendly. A little piece of New Jersey and the Jersey Shore for this Jersey Girl. If we don’t make it back here this year, we’ll definitely spend at least a full day or more next year. Had a delicious pina colada and fun conversation with Andy before heading out to our next destination.

Lunch at Loterie Farms. You take the road up at the sign for Pic Paradise between Gran Case and Marigot – it’s at the base of Pic Paridise – you’ll see it.

There’s a really nice tapa bar at the top of the ramp on the way to the restaurant – we had lunch at the restaurant - DELICIOUS FOOD – and a great natural atmosphere. A short walk down the dirt path and we stop to see the zip-liners – we’ll do this next year – fun to watch everyone zipping through the trees.

Back to OBBR to enjoy the beautiful pool before dinner – short nap and we’re off!

We drive by Tabba Khady and this time it’s open! They’re closed on Wednesdays. The owners are very attentive and the place is uniquely decorated – soft lighting, fuscia curtains billowing in the breeze against yellow walls and open night air. The tables are arranged around a pool with a little portable fountain. Across the pool from where we are sitting are two gazebos with seating areas.

My husband had the Argentine Beef and I the grouper. We had a bottle of water (5 euros), a bottle of win (30 euros) two desserts (10 euros each) – crème brulee and lemon sorbet w/vodka. Our bill came to 101 euros. If you pay cash, they’ll give you a break on the exchange rate; but not 1 to 1. ($122). If you charge, they anticipate your exchange rate to be 1 euro = $1.40 and ask you to initial that on the charge receipt. We charged and our bill will be $142 without a tip – we added the tip, so our dinner was very expensive.

I really like this place, the atmosphere, the owners and the food. If they go back to 1 euro = $1, we’ll return, but right now, it’s a little expensive for us.

There’s something about St. Maarten that awakens one’s soul, that brings you back to your youth – that time in you life when you just felt so carefree and relaxed – the hot sun on your skin when the sun is overhead in the afternoon – the warm air and soft breeze on your skin in the evening – and that special person sitting across the table from you – sharing a bottle of wine, conversation, and a life well-lived.

Time to rest up for tomorrow.

Day Seven – Friday, June 8, 2007 – Dawn Beach, Big Fish, Farewell Party

Our last full day on St. Maarten. We sit on our balcony and talk about what we’ll do today. We watch people snorkel and walk on the beach. There’s a dog swimming. We’ll miss these morning breakfasts when we return home.

We decide to spend our last beach day here on Dawn Beach. What a great day! A few dark clouds threaten rain, but it never did come to pass. The water was great.

We were hoping to try Ms. B’s BBQ ribs which some claim are the best on the island, but she didn’t BBQ today.

Big decisions to make here – stay on the beach all day, or go to Philipsburg, have lunch and shop. Haven’t been to Front Street yet this year.

A look of pleasant disbelief crossed my husband’s face when I chose the beach over shopping.

For lunch we ate at Big Fish – right behind Mom & Pop’s – great place. They have a bar inside and tables on the dock. The food was delicious. I had the mozzarella/tomato/sundried tomato wrap – very fresh. My husband had the grilled tuna with a delicious sauce – we also had three glasses of wine – one guavacolada – lunch came with a fresh salad and bread - $51 plus tip. I highly recommend this place.

Back to Dawn Beach – walked to the Westin, greeting friends made during the week. It was time to call it a day – time to call it a week. We gathered our things, looked back at our lounge chairs – absent of towels, suntan lotion and Caribs. What a bittersweet moment - Sadness to leave such a beautiful beach – Joy for having spent a week in paradise.

We wound up our last night at Beau Beau’s Karaoke/Farewell party night. Free rum punches, another guavaberry colada, bought a few trinkets from the vendor outside of the restaurant (hey, I did get to shop)! We shared ribs and calamari. Cost = $36 plus tip.

We reflect on our week and are happy that everyday was a beautiful day. We are amazed that we did so much, and yet didn’t get to do all that we wanted – definitely need more time next trip.

DAY SEVEN = another day filled with thanks for the beauty of this island.

HOMEWARD BOUND – Saturday, June 9, 2007

7:00 am on the balcony – looks like it rained last night, but this island heat and tropical breeze are already drying everything out.

I’m looking at the new condos behind Ms. B’s. We watched them plant palm trees there yesterday – really looks beautiful. I wonder what will happen to Ms. B’s – she’s right in front of one of the condos – or maybe I should say one of the condos is right behind her – she was there first!

Time to tear myself away from our balcony and do some packing.

The morning goes too fast. My husband takes one last walk on the beach, one more dip in the ocean, and I finish packing. Check-out is 10:00am at OBBR . We say goodbye to a few friends in the lobby – a quick stop at Rima’s, a quick ride down Front Street and we arrive at the Royal Palm to return our cell phone rental just as the bridge goes up. We return the car to Thrifty and the shuttle is waiting there to bring us to the airport.

The check in at USAirways was extremely slow – we were there 2 ½ hours before our flight and just about made it!

We arrived in Philly, took the shuttle to our car and drove home to Jersey.

AFTERTHOUGHTS

Time on an island changes you – touches your soul. Wrap your arms around that feeling – call it close to the surface when you need it – and start the countdown to your next trip.

“I dig my toes into the sand, the ocean looks like a thousand diamonds strewn across a blue blanket; I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless, and in this moment I am happy, happy...” Incubus