Just returned from our most recent trip to SXM. Again stayed at CO and enjoyed ourselves as usual. We liked the idea of having parking areas away from the units although not everyone abided by the new rule.

Will not give a day by day account but do have these observations:

1. We usually go to SXM in late June so this was our first time visiting near peak season. Was much more crowded and hectic at most places than we experience in summer but still tolerable.

2. Our first two full days were Easter Sunday and Easter Monday--two big holidays on the island and there were a lot of local residents on Orient Beach enjoying the great weather. It was fun to interact with them.

3. Bad weather really one day---the Tuesday after Easter Monday. We decided to use that day for our annual trip to Phillipsburg to take a complete inventory of all the jewelry stores---always a traumatic and agonizing day for me. Got to town in about 30 minutes and 90 minutes later still had not found either a free or paid parking spot. Traffic was horrendous--bumper to bumper along Pondfill Road up to the new roundabout. Tried twice to get into the paid lot at Bobby's Marina where we usually park and twice got chased out of it even though there were parking spaces available. The first time as we tried to get into the lot there was a man arguing with the guard that his business was being harmed becasue no one could get into the lot. The guard seemed to ignore his pleas. After our second try, we decided to go to Maho for lunch and to try the few shops open there--that short jaunt over the hill took 45 minutes. Parked in the paid lot at Maho, had lunch at Pizza Pasta or whenever it is called and visited the jewelry shops which are clearly inferior to what is in Phillipsburg. One nice result of this troubled trip to town----did not have to buy my wife any baubles this trip---so I thought at the time.

3. Had great dinners at Spiga, Auberg Gourmand, Alabama and il Nettunio. Had our first bad expereince ever at one of our favorites---California--later learned that it is under new ownership. Ate several dinners at Papagayos--adequate, handy, flexible dress code, more evening enterainment than in the summer.

4. The road from the main drag to CO and the Butterfly Farm is relatively speaking in better shape than in past years. It is still a hazard to small cars and small animals who must avoid the pot holes but if you drive slowly and carefully the odds are 50-50 you won't get a flat tire.

5. Had lunch nearly every day at Baywatch and every day was greeted very warmly by Cheryl. In addition, Andy continues his tradition of offering free coffee before 7:30 so each morning after walking the beach I would fill a travel mug with coffee and bring it back to my still bauble deprived wife----kind of a peace offering for the bad day in Phillipburg.

6. The new terminal at the airport is awesome---until you get upstairs past the security checkpoint. Upstairs it is fully air conditioned which makes it a pleasure for ladies to shop at the various stores including several jewelry shops. Up to this point I was feeling pretty good about the trip when my wife disappeared and a hour later came back with a new, expensive bracelet and pendant--both very shiny.

We are looking forward to again visiting next year---once again in June.