After several years of very detailed reports, I’m having a hard time getting my thoughts together to write this trip report, so I think I’m going to just try and highlight a few things.

To Marc & Annie, Lynette & James, Bob & Pam and Ryan & Jennifer – Thank you all for having a part in making this one of the best trips we’ve taken. Not only did we share a great time on the Tiko Tiko, but since we all were at Club Orient, it was so much nicer to be able to spend days and evenings together as well. I also want you all to know how much we appreciated your willingness to share these times with Marissa. You guys are great!

There were a number of others that we got the chance to see and visit with during the week (I’m not going to start mentioning everyone, because I’m sure I’ll forget somebody, but it was nice to see and meet all of you!). I’ve always said that you meet the nicest people on Orient Beach!

We really didn’t do much of anything this week except enjoy the beach. Most days were pretty much the same. The thing we look forward to the most is a sunrise walk.

[Linked Image]

I was fortunate enough to catch the sun rising directly on the horizon one morning..a kodak moment for sure, but unfortunately, we didn't have a camera with us.

As the day progressed it was croissants for breakfast, time on the beach, Gouda on a baguette for lunch, happy hour at the Perch, more time on the beach until late in the afternoon. The biggest decision of the day was where to go for dinner!

The best new find for dinner, thanks to Peconic, was Lago One (also referred to as the little green place or Cito’s). It’s on the road between Grand Case and the turn to Cul de Sac, on the right hand side. We really enjoy the local food on the island and this place was great. Cito told us that he has a busy lunch crowd, serving mostly takeout to local workers. No menu here, just what he’s cooking fresh that day. John and I had the garlic shrimp and Marissa had steak. I’ve always loved the garlic shrimp at Sky’s the Limit, but this was even better. For dessert, homemade upside down pineapple cake and coconut tart. I think that this will be a must stop on all future trips!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

We had wanted to stop by another place new to us, Kenneth’s, based on the recommendation of JoAnn and Marc (Jomarc). It’s in the French Quarter just a little past the Gess Station on the left hand side of the road as you come from Orient. Unfortunately, we ran out of days and never made it there. Too many places and too little time!

Another great dinner was at Pineapple Pete’s. We had been there for lunch a couple of years ago and have wanted to return for the lobster thermidor that everyone raves about. We were not disappointed!!! Marissa and I shared the dark rum crème brulee for dessert, which was a good as I remembered!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Other restaurants were some of our favorites:
Rancho (for the carnivore child of ours), Dinghy Dock, Papaguyo’s, and The Greenhouse. We also ventured down the beach to Pedro’s and Baywatch for lunch.

The only down side of the trip (other than getting home after 1am and having to be at work at 8am the next day!) was getting stopped by the gendarme on our very first sunrise walk. We were on our way back, near Waikiki, at 6:30 am, when they approached us. 2 young gendarmes came toward us. The one who started speaking did not seem to speak English very well, but was able to communicate that we were not allowed to be nude walking the beach. I told him that people have walked the beach here for years, very early in the morning and that I didn't think it was a problem before 8am. He said he didn't know about 8am, but seemed to accept it and we just kept walking.

The next 2 mornings we walked up and down the beach in front of Club O a bunch of times, but it certainly wasn’t the same and was very disappointing. But after having a conversation with Dennis, Club Orient manager, we decided to once again enjoy our morning walks. He told us, if stopped, be polite, tell them that you are peacefully walking and that there is an understanding that it is allowed before 8am. The printed information that Club O gives its guests says “As of July 1st 2007, stricter rules are now applied (fines or more) regarding the tolerance of nude walking on Orient Beach: be back by 8:00AM”. We walked every morning after that and never saw another gendarme, but in talking with someone who’s been there for most of the summer, they have been out once or twice or week.

We did not think that we were going to be able to go to SXM this summer, but a last minute decision was made to go to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I had originally planned on a 10 day trip, but because of work, was only able to go for one week. We arrived the day after our anniversary (which was also Marc and Annie’s anniversary!) This was our 6th trip to SXM, since the summer of 2004. 4 trips have been in August and 2 in Feb/March. I must say, that I really do prefer August. I do like to get away from the winter here, but I love the heat of summer in SXM, the warm water, and especially the lack of crowds. We’re very much looking forward to helping Marc celebrate his 40th birthday next year! Only this time, Bill and Elaine had better be there!

Sue
[Linked Image]