My wife and I arrived the Tucan September 6 to spend a short 3 nights before moving north to Cancun for our first visit there. Our last trip to the Riviera Maya was in December, 2006 and was also our first stay at the Tucan. Our stay was even better this time as the weather was beautiful every day. We stayed in a standard room in bldg 14 this time and it was the same size (or very close) and just as comfortable as the ocean front rooms in bldg. 10.

The beach was in great shape, as beautiful as ever, and the pool was inviting and warm. We booked the Japanese and Mexican restaurants this trip, and both were ok. We had enjoyed the Steak and Japanese restaurants on our last visit. We were later spoiled by the food at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun…

But we love the Tucan and will return again – the jungle setting and excellent beach sets this resort apart from many of the other resorts in the area, including the other Iberostars.

More details –
Standard room is the same size as the oceanfront room. The only benefit the oceanfront room provides is you know where your room will be. Because the beach is so crowded right in front of the oceanfront rooms I prefer a quieter room like we had in bldg 14. This afforded us much more privacy on our balcony.

Buffet & specialty restaurants were great, we find ample variety and often have an excellent dining experience. The service is first-class and my wife is very pleased with the different offerings that make each night unique.

The pool is not crowded even though the lounge chairs are all “reserved”. The beach palapas are also reserved and unused most of the morning but lounges near the beach are available as are portable umbrellas. Yes the towel game is in full force here, I’ve not seen it at this level at other hotels although this was our first AI.

The entertainment is sometimes hokey but that makes it enjoyable. Some nights it is excellent. We had breakfast with the Michael Jackson impersonator and learned about his training. Miguel is an excellent dancer and was perhaps the best show during this short stay. All of the Star Friends are very polite and really enjoy their work there.

Playa is a must in the evening, many great restaurants to enjoy there along with the entertainment. 5th Ave is very crowded now, wondering where the next Playa Del Carmen will be – Tulum area?

But the Ibero Tucan/Quetzal is very enjoyable and we recommend it to couples and families alike. It is a reasonably-priced resort that has many return guests because of the consistently superb service and the beautiful grounds and beach.