Atypical Vegas Trip Report

Atypical because there is no gambling. There are other things in Vegas. Our direct flight on the Thursday before Columbus day (sorry for a late report, but work called) from Albany on Southwest was uneventful, as was our car pickup from Dollar – the express card helps. Checked in to the Mariott Residence Inn on Paradise – which we like for its quietness and easy access to the Strip. Studio unit with queen bed, small sitting area with sofa and TV, good kitchen facilities, table and chairs, good closet space, hair dryer etc.; computer access in the lobby (also connections in the room) but the main negative, no in-room safe. There is a pool that we have never found time to use. The room includes a decent breakfast buffet. After settling in and getting some groceries, we had dinner at Ghandi Indian Restaurant, which is another standard for us – not the best Indian restaurant that we have eaten at, but still quite good in our view.

Although we knew that the weather forecast was not the best, we had planned to drive to Death Valley on Friday. Left a little late (9:30) and drove through Beatty (top up the gas) and stopped briefly at the ghost town of Rhyolite. Definitely worth the detour, but not a trip for itself. Could have seen more of interest, but the temperature was in the low 50’s with a wind that made opening the car door an effort, so we were not inclined to do much wandering around. The sculptures there also are interesting. The valley itself was warmer – low 70’s – but just as windy, and just as we were setting out to visit the Climax Borax Works we were hit by a dust storm. For a while it was like driving in a Northeast blizzard. We went to the Visitor’s Center while it was still blowing and spent a bit of time there and had a lunch in the car on bagels, peanut butter and bananas purloined from the breakfast buffet. The dust had let up considerably and we were able to drive a little further on and take the Artist’s Drive loop – not good lighting, but the colors were clear enough to be impressive. So although we did not do a lot in the valley itself, we saw enough to make it worthwhile, and can claim to be some of the few people who found Death Valley too cold. Left after stopping at Zabriskie Point (it had cleared considerably by now; this was a highlight in my opinion) and got back to Vegas around 7 after stopping for a beer at Nevada Joe’s in Lathrop Wells. Dinner was at Habib’s Persian Restaurant, where we have eaten on each of our 4 trips. Besides the regular menu, which except for the appetizers seems only mildly Persian in style (but done very well), there are some more specialized dishes available, though you may have to ask about them. The chicken in pomegranate sauce is outstanding. Service is good, and the owner is very attentive, especially if they are not busy. An attractive belly dancer performs week-ends. It is well off the strip at the back of a shopping center; easy enough to identify if you look for the Von's Supermarket sign.

Saturday morning drove to the Wynn to pick up Spamelot tickets and wander around a bit. Actually spent a good bit of time wandering around this part of the Strip, but don’t remember much of the details. One thing we did was take in the Auto Museum at Imperial Palace, using coupons for free tickets I downloaded from the web. Well worth the price. Actually, worth the listed price if you are into cars. Even if you are not, the $million-plus cars are worth a look, and the antiques are interesting; I got a bit bored by the classics but my wife became fascinated. We had a snack somewhere – probably a café in the Ceasar’s Palace shopping arcade. Dinner was at Red 8 Chinese Bistro in the Wynn before the show. Although we did not leave ourselves quite enough time for a relaxing dinner, we were positively impressed by the food and service, and the price which, for the location, was reasonable. Spamelot was excellent; my wife, who was a bit uncertain about Monty Python, enjoyed it very much. Afterward, sampled the sake at Okada; expensive but a fun time.

Sunday morning took a break to drive through Red Rock Canyon. We had done this on our first trip 5 years ago, and since this was a beautifully clear day it made for a relaxing time, particularly as my wife was suffering from a cold and dragging a bit. Quite a bit of traffic. Afterward, had a drink at Rumjungle, then dinner at Cuba Café. Not an expert on Cuban food, but try it whenever we travel to someplace with a Cuban restaurant. This little place is one of the best; very good food, very good service, very friendly owner. It is not fancy - cafe is a good description - but a good menu, pleasant and clean. The ropa vieja was as good as any I have had, and my wife's seafood dish was excellent.

Monday we went to the Picasso ceramics exhibit at the Bellagio. Costly, but a very well done exhibit. We then had to walk to the MGM to see the lions, and the Flamingo to see – the flamingos. Looked at Planet Hollywood to see what they had done with it: quite effective for the style. Our final dinner was at Le Provencal at Paris. Very good. Only one song from a singing waiter, which was fine with us, although he was very good. He also was an excellent waiter. Again, didn’t time things to get up to the top of the tower, but did go up to the tower restaurant for a drink and to see whatever sight we could from there, then called it a night. Flight home Tuesday also without incident, although not direct so we got in late. Car rental return was very easy to find.

We will have to try to make our next trip some Spring for a change.