Returned Saturday, Dec. 29 from a week at White Bay Villas on JVD. I can’t begin to explain what a wonderful, relaxing and rejuvenating trip we enjoyed. Before I give the details of the trip, here are a few miscellaneous tidbits. One was the island seemed much busier than our last trip. In addition, there were more inconsiderate and rude people than before. We were surprised at this because we had not experienced any of this type of behavior previously on JVD. These people in no way made our vacation more stressful. I just felt like they didn’t “get” what being on JVD is all about. Also, we loved White Bay Villas. Thad and Malia are very friendly and will do anything for you. We also met Bonnie from White Bay Villas on JVD who was vacationing as well. We also met Tish who is one of the owners of Sandcastle and she was so friendly. There were also many celebrities on the island which made for some interesting afternoons. We spent many afternoons at Ivan’s and met some wonderful people there as well.

Okay here are the details . . .

Friday we flew from Michigan to Atlanta and spent the night at the Airport Hilton which had impeccable service. I highly recommend this hotel if you have to overnight in Atlanta.

Saturday we flew to STT. We sat on the runway an hour before taking off and then when we landed in STT we sat on the runway for another 45 minutes. Consequently, we were still sitting on the runway in STT at 4 p.m. and I didn’t think we would make the ferry to West End. Luckily, we had not checked luggage and we got a taxi and made it to the ferry. We then took the 6 p.m. ferry to JVD and arrived at the villa by 6:45 p.m. Both ferry rides were fun and we felt like we were finally on vacation. Last time we went to JVD we flew through San Juan. I would never do that route again. STT and the ferrys work best for us. Then we walked down to Foxy’s for the barbecue. We were tired from traveling but excited to be on the island again. We waited in line for quite a while for food and just when we got to the food the lady in front of us called up her table of 15 to come. She had waited in line for all of them and then they all cut in front of us. She was one of the rude people I was talking about.

Sunday we had breakfast at Christine’s Bakery and then went to the White Bay Suprette to get eggs, bread, cheese, soda, chips, bug spray and salsa. We then headed to the beach at Soggy Dollar to see Mic again and begin our vacation. Finally, around 5 p.m. we decided we’d better clean up for dinner. We had pizza at Corsair’s and met Vinnie. His pizza is the BEST and Lisa our waitress was great. My favorite meal on the island became Corsair’s for pizza and rum punch.

Monday we hiked around the entire island. Wonderful scenery. It took us 2 hours and 30 minutes, but if I did it again I would not hike the road back to White Bay. I would take a taxi. One guide book I read said it is 6 miles. We spent the rest of the day on the beach and had Christmas Eve Dinner at Sandcastle.

Tuesday we rented a dingy from Captain Collin and went to Sandy Cay. It was very rough on Sandy Cay and we probably shouldn’t have gone on the beach but we did not realize this until it was too late. We had to be very careful getting the dingy off the beach but we made it and because of the rough seas we did not go to Sandy Spit. Foxy’s Taboo was closed so we had lunch at Sidney’s in Little Harbor where they unexpectedly gave us Coconut Pie and Guavaberry Pie with Guaveberry wine. It was one of those moments you can’t plan for but are so special. There we were on Christmas eating these special pies and wine sitting at our table on the dock. We then had Christmas Dinner at Sandcastle.

Wednesday we spent on the beach and had dinner at Corsair’s. Really, you must all visit Vinnie. He is special.

Thursday we went with Captain Collin to Virgin Gorda where we snorkeled at the Baths and had lunch in Spanish Town. We then snorkeled at Great Thatch Key where we saw 2 barracudas and a nurse shark. Wonderful day but rough seas. We returned to have dinner at Ivan’s BBQ. I just love that man. When he talks to you, his eyes seem to see into one’s soul. He is so genuinely caring about every person he meets.

Friday we spent on the beach and had dinner at Corsair’s again. Yes, I know, I got hooked on this place and couldn’t leave it alone.

Saturday we journeyed home and arrived to snow and cold, but it was super to see our dogs again. I went running Sunday morning in 20 degree temps and icy, snowy roads, but as I ran I was still on JVD and feeling the soothing sunshine and warm waters.

It is hard to explain how the islands help me detach from the stress of life. By Thursday, I couldn’t even remember, literally, what I had been stressed about before we left. I have been back two days and I still feel the sense of calm the islands give me.

We return in April and I am already counting the days.