Well, we just returned from our 4-day cruise on the Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas, from Tampa. We went with a group of about 20 couples. We left Tampa on 1/17 at about 4:00 PM. We arrived at Key West at about 10:00 AM on Friday. Our Next stop was Cozumel and then we had a day at sea while we returned to Tampa.

Check-in was easy and I would highly recommend the valet parking for an extra $10.00 they unload your luggage, take your vehicle and it’s waiting for you upon your return. We got on board and had lunch while we waited for our luggage to be delivered to our cabin. Our cabin, by the way was a balcony type with a queen bed and it was very nice. There was plenty of storage, more than we needed for a four-day cruise. The condition of the cabin and the ship overall, was good for the ship’s age but slightly tattered.

We finally went looking for our luggage and found it in the stairwell. No problem, there were many bags to be delivered and not too many hands to do it. We grabbed our bags and stowed everything away. Then it was off to dinner.

Since we live in a rural area and having come from the city, I was looking forward to some nice meals. We have been on three cruises in the past and my recollection was that of fine dining and excellent service. The prior cruises were the Big and Little Red Boats and a Cunard Star ship. Well our memory of great food and our seeking to renew that experience was not fulfilled. The food on this cruise was disappointing. The food was barley palatable. I was not alone in this view. In our group there wasn’t a single person that enjoyed the food. The steaks were less than 1/2 “ thick and at that thickness, impossible to cook properly. Breakfast was a combination of dried-out pancakes and waffles along with sausages sitting in grease and eggs that were sitting in a bath of separated water.

I’m not going to recall a description of every disappointing meal. That would not be productive. However, the overall dining experience was abysmal. The service however was excellent. Weather it was food service or passing a cabin steward in the hallway, it was always pleasant.

My last cruise was in 1993, on Cunard. I recall lavish buffets, ice sculptures, extraordinary food and remarkable service. The recollection of this cruise will be the good times we had with friends and the experiences on-shore.

While I don’t proclaim to be an authority on cuisine, I lived in the NYC metropolitan area; I’ve been to Europe, Asia and to numerous locations in the Caribbean and the US. I do know the difference between good and bad.

I look forward to renewing my past recollections future cruising; however it won’t be on Royal Caribbean. This company has been in business for a long time and they are aware of the product they are presenting.

I hope that this is helpful to future cruisers.