Trip No. 5 and this was to be different than all the past. We have started a new business that is “unfortunately” going to require periodic business trips to various Caribbean islands. This was the first of such business trips, so there was relatively little beach time compared to all previous visits. More information will be forthcoming about our new business venture as we get it fully operational and implement our marketing strategy (I’ll be in touch Eric).

FLIGHTS – All I can say is that this was a miserable experience and we have vowed to try and get direct flights from this point forward. AA from MCI to Chicago was uneventful. As we prepared to board the flight from Chicago to San Juan they announced the plane was “no longer air worthy” and we had to wait on another 757. Our 3 hour planned layover became 6 hours. CANCELLATION NO. 1. When we get to SJU, we learn we have missed the last flight out for the islands. We spent our first night stuck in San Juan. The next morning we board the 8:15 bound for SXM with the Anguilla Football Association, loud, proud, and indiscernible.

On our return flight the departure from SXM was to be at 7:15…flight cancelled. We heard the runway lights were out and so the plane we were to depart on was not allowed to land the night previous. CANCELLATION NO. 2. I think this was the beginning of the runway fiasco. We finally departed at 9:05. Upon arrival at DFW we learn the Kansas City had 6” of fresh snow and ice and that the airport was closed for 6 hours. The first time since 1973. American had cancelled all flights into MCI for the day. CANCELLATION NO. 3 and an unplanned night in Dallas. This is Sunday night and we cannot get a confirmed seat out until Tuesday at 12:55. We decided to get to DFW early in the morning and try and get standby seating on any of the flights out the next day, starting with a 6:55. Long story short there were 48 names on the standby list but we did get on the 1st flight out.

ACCOMMODATIONS

Mary’s Boon
As previously documented we missed our first night on the island, which was to be at Mary’s Boon. How regretful. We did get to stay one night here on the back end but I would have loved to experience a longer stay there. This little resort is just up my alley, small, quaint, and clean. And the surrounding gardens were serene to the point that you really forget you are in such a busy corner of the island. The beach here was stunning as well. We had Lucky 13, and were it not for the hoard of mosquitoes swarming outside our door it would have been flawless. We will definitely consider them in the future. I told Bonnie that a common comment was the proximity to the flight schedules in and out of SXM. We didn’t notice anything after about 6:00PM. We assumed we were sound sleepers…NOT. See the comment about the cause of CANCELLATION NO. 2.

Oyster Bay Beach Club This was our first stay on the Dutch side. Previously all our stays have been in the Orient Village area. While the room was well above average, and we had no complaints about the staff, the accommodations, or facilities it was just not our cup of tea. Bonnie and I both prefer the smaller intimate sized inns and Oyster Bay is the typical mid to large scale resort. The staff was very accommodating of anything we asked. We had a great room with a balcony that overlooked the marina and Captain Oliver’s. Prior to checking in we stopped in at Mr. Busby’s for a welcoming drink, chicken sandwich, and an order of fries. While sitting there I called SXMNorm, and he and Betty arrived a short time later. It was great to reconnect with them and we had a great leisurely visit. After a bit we decided to head to the Front Desk to see if we could check in. We walked from Mr. Busby’s to Beau Beau’s along Dawn Beach. This would prove to be our only walk along Dawn Beach.

DINING

LUNCHES
were in our room or on the sand nearly every day. A little cheese, crackers, pate, or sardines accompanied by your drink of choice packed in the cooler makes for an affordable alternative.

BREAKFAST I know many with cast all kinds of aspersions at me for the following comment, but I actually enjoy cooking breakfast when we are on vacation. So nearly every day it is bacon, eggs, and toast on the balcony overlooking the marina. The quiet awakening of the island are my favorite moments on this paradise. We did eat one breakfast out, on our “DK Day”. The Kangaroo Court is a favorite stop of ours. Traditional American breakfast seated in an open-air courtyard in downtown Phillipsburg. The only downside was suffering through the tales of an adjacent diner, whom by all boisterous accounts, was an expert in nearly every field his companions might mention. The shark that got away was longer than their 29’ fishing vessel, “and over 6’ wide”. The trout he caught in Montana were state records, and the fishing trips to Minnesota is the stuff legends are made of. It was good to be in the presence of such nobility! Two American breakfasts, one juice, one coffee, $20.00.

DINNERS

Temptation
Although this was our last dinner on the island I am listing it first to make sure everyone at least reads this one. It was wonderful and everything we’d heard it would be. We were at Mary’s Boon this night so the proximity was close, and even though the earliest reservation we could get was 9:00 we decided to go for it. This is well documented to be Deepti’s favorite haunt, and after again stressing that we “have to“ go there we decided to take the plunge.

There is live piano music and the seating is so quiet and intimate we really enjoyed just sitting there. Bonnie had the Grilled Peach Salad, garden greens tossed with crumbled bleu cheese, sugar roasted pecans, grilled peaches, and rosemary infused balsamic vinaigrette. I started with the Warm Walnut Crusted Vermont Goat Cheese Medallion, with rosemary-honey infused cranberries, and balsamic caramel.

Bonnie had been told by Deepti to ask for the Deepti Chicken. She said they will at first laugh, and then they will of course make it for you. So Bonnie had the Deepti chicken, and as it is not on the menu I can only offer that it sat on a bed of mashed potatoes and was topped with vegetables and onions. I had the Herb Crusted Chilean Seabass, with crab-basil risotto, and red wine infused seafood demi glace.

For dessert Bonnie had the Wet Chocolate Cake, which appeared to be swimming in chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. The service was outstanding and everyone moved about like clockwork. This meal, without a doubt, was the best meal I’ve ever eaten on SXM…probably anywhere actually. We were so glad we finally took Deepti’s advice. My limited vocabulary is left wanting, searching for the appropriate adjectives to describe this evening, so I will cease. Suffice to say you absolutely “have to go there!” Total bill with wine $168.

Talk of The Town This is our favorite for affordable dining option. We ate there twice on this trip. We shared a Ribs and Chicken Plate, with drinks $16.50 1:1. The second was two separate plates, one ribs and one chicken, total with drinks $18.00.

Le Piment On previous trips this has been one of our favorite stops and we just love Cecile, the waitress there. They were extremely busy the night we were there but the service and food were very good. Bonnie had the Goat Cheese Salad, and I had my favorite, the Canibale (hamburger pizza). The only detractor was the Euro. Total bill with water and one drink was $46.00USD. A little steep for pizza and salad.

Big Fish We decided to stay close to home one evening and headed down to Big Fish across from Mr. Busby’s. I think this is the former site of the Barefoot Terrace. We arrived a little ahead of the crowd and got the last open table. After we were seated there were a constant 2-3 parties waiting to be seated the balance of the night. Bonnie had the Grouper in a garlic and dill sauce, and I had the Mahi Mahi Rockefeller. Both dishes were served with mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, and fried plantain. The food and service were exceptional. Total bill $76.80.

La California This was to be our special Valentine celebration and so I chose a restaurant we always return to each year. Though I’d called in advance and made a reservation, it appeared my words fell on deaf ears. We arrived about 15 minutes before our 8:00 reservation. “Oh we already seated someone by that name at 6:30.” Granted, my last name may be common on Dutch territories, but all the more reason to pay attention. Somehow this 6:30 seating was supposed to be relevant to me and my 8:00 reservation. There was much obvious stressing about, and many hushed French conversations, all the while looking over their shoulders at us. They did finally manage to find a table for us at 8:20. We’ve now been waiting 35 minutes.

They seated us at a small table in an out of the way forgotten corner. I say forgotten corner because it seems they couldn’t recall there were patrons seated there who might want to be served. Ours was the only table without salt and pepper shakers, ours was the only table without a candle, and we were surrounded by smokers on every corner, each smoking nearly non-stop. The place was completely full and yet it appeared only one girl actually taking orders. We waited an eternity to place drink orders, another eternity to place our food order, and eons before our food was served…lukewarm. We were also the only table that was not served the usual post dinner flavored rums.

Bonnie had the Carbonara and I had the Sirloin Steak. The food was good but the service left such a sour taste in our mouths it was had to enjoy it. We suffered through what was supposed to be a romantic evening out to celebrate our love for one another. We finally exited the restaurant at 10:15 and hated every moment of it. This is a restaurant that we have always enjoyed on every visit in the past, but it is probably permanently off our list at this point. I understand being busy, and mistakes do happen, but there was never any apology, no offer and condolences, and certainly no recognition of any fault. Please note this is the only bad review I think I have given a restaurant in SXM, but with so many options at your fingertips, such deplorable service doesn’t warrant a return. Total bill $48.50 1:1.

Dinghy Dock We had prearranged to eat one evening with SXMNorm and Betty and decided on Dingy Dock. Bonnie and I both had the rib dinners, total bill $30. We really enjoyed getting to spend some time with Norm and Betty on this trip. They are both such wonderful people. My journal entry reads as follows: “Norm and Betty are absolutely the nicest people you could ever want to meet. He is a former shop teacher of 16 years, and now a semi-retired remodeling contractor. They have one son who lives in our area. They will be fantastic grandparents!” I truly believe that concluding statement.

Sky’s The Limit Bonnie had the “Chicken Food” and I had the “Ribs Food”. Both were served with spaghetti, mac & cheese, salad, cole slaw, broccoli, potato salad, and rice and beans. Of each of the sides you really only get a bite or two but it was enough to get a taste and each were very tasty. I rated the ribs third of the 3 different ones I had on this trip, but they were still quite good. Bonnie really liked the chicken.

Other Happenings

As mentioned earlier this was partially a business trip so we spent a good deal of our time meeting with clients and trying to build some relationships. This part of our visit went far better than we could have ever imagined. Again more of this will be forthcoming, but it again was displayed that it is the people of SXM that make this paradise such a treasure for us. We went to Art in the Park on Sunday, and though it was extremely windy, we were glad we went. Saw Norm and Betty there as well.

We only spent a couple full days on the beach. Our favorite spot is to take our chairs and set up between Boo Boo Jam and Mt. Vernon. One day we did go to Baie Rouge hoping to find relief from the winds… no such luck. We liked Baie Rouge though walking in the sand for any distance takes some effort.

We reconnected with our friend G.P. at KO Bar on Orient. We spent several afternoons with him and getting to meet some of the regulars. We also stopped in to see Deepti and get Bonnie’s Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary/Mother’s Day/Valentine’s Day/Groudhog Day/Arbor Day present! She took all Bonnie’s pieces and had them cleaned for us while we waited. Bonnie had a set of studs we’d purchased a few years ago and Bonnie was never quite happy with the setting in yellow gold. Deepti took them and had them reset in white gold, no charge for any of these services. Saw Norm and Betty here as well. Made two visits to see Bonnie’s friend Beatrix at the Belgiun Chocolate Box.

We made our way along the boardwalk at Philipsburg one day. Tried a new coffeshop and a little shack called Caribbean Blend on Norm’s recommendation. On Wednesday we went to the market in Marigot. Much busier than in May when we usually attend. Bounty for pate on two occasions. Bought so much stuff to take back this year we had to purchase a bag on Backstreet to check on the plane.

During our travels each day we listen to the local radio station and enjoy the local music. We came upon one song that was played over, and over, and over again. It was a duet in which he sings “Where’d you get your body? Where’d you get your body?.” To which she replies “I go it from my momma. I got it from my momma.” We totally cracked up at this. I cranked the volume when it came on and we both sang along!

I had previously spoken with Barbara and SXMNorm about the I Can Foundation. We wanted to contact Mrs. Gibbs while on island but didn’t quite get it done. We left a donation for the kids with Barbara.

MISC.

Car rental from Marius at St. Louis was handed off to Alpha this year since Marius was full. No problems. Chairs and umbrella from Craig at Packlight whom I learned is also a singer by night. We never unfolded the umbrella due to the wind. I didn’t want to have to track it down on Shoal Bay! First time rental from Sharon, the Queen of SXM. It went off flawlessly and we had minutes to spare.

My only regret is that we did not get in to see Phillipe at Captain Oliver’s. I am so sorry Phillipe. We will definitely return soon and we will be sure to stop in.

We enjoyed our trip very much but missed staying at our normal spot along Orient Beach. It was far too windy and there was far too much traffic for my liking, we’ll probably stick to May for future visits. We anxiously await our return.

JeffV

See our Photo Albums http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/myislandartcom/
An Island Boy in a Landlocked State:(
Twitter: @MyIslandArtJeff