Eight adults on a SunSail Lagoon 440, ‘ACBROS’. Trip scheduled to celebrate the skipper’s 50th B-Day. The boat was very nice except there was not a proper swim ladder provided. The track on the aft port hull where a swim ladder ought to have been installed was empty. Instead, we were supplied a flimsy thing that we were supposed to figure out how to lash to the boat in some workable fashion. We tried many configurations, none of which were truly satisfactory. About halfway through the week the stupid ladder broke in half and we then rigged up some dock lines to make a ladder of sorts so we could haul out middle aged butts out of the water. We called SunSail several times to complain about this situation, but we were pretty much brushed off. A ‘representative’ did stop our boat at the BEYC and had the nerve to tell us that these boats don’t come with swim ladders. OMG! What a crock!! Anyway, we survived and picked up many black and blue marks as a result of trying to get out of the water. Many on board didn’t swim as much because of the hassle getting out of the water, but there is also a safety aspect involved with not being able to readily get back in the boat. The skipper complained at the debriefing and we will see if there is any redress.

We followed a CCW route to avoid a big plug of boats leaving on the same day: Base->White Bay->CGB->Dogs->BEYC->Anegada->Copper Island->The Bight->Base. The weather was perfect with wind around 15 knots all the time and just a few minutes of rain one afternoon. The best part of the trip was Anegada. We moored off Neptune’s Treasure and we ashore to set up a lobster dinner. We were told that there was no lobsters tonight. Bummer! However, the sweet woman at the restaurant made a couple of VHF calls and within 30 minutes told us that we would have our lobster. Outstanding! Now, off to Loblolly Beach. Everyone in our group told me that it was the most beautiful beach they have ever been to. We had some lunch and swimming and then back to the boat for cocktails and showers. We showed up at Neptune’s at the appointed time and were promptly served out lobsters. They were HUGE! What a fine dinner and what a wonderful group of folks that run the restaurant. We used Magnum’s chart and sailing directions to enter Anegada and did not have a lick of trouble except that the skipper was freaking out when the fathometer went to zero a few times inside the mooring field.

Some other observations: This was my sixth trip to the BVI and it reminded me why I like to area so much. It’s beautiful to be sure, but the people you deal with are just great. Catamarans sail like crap when the wind is forward of the beam, but they are great floating hotels.

Cheers!