Member Spotlight
tangerine3
tangerine3
Lutz, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Dutchman, hathead, lookinatfifty, Lovetheocean, LuSea
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (StMartinFan, sailgclass, Droner, LINNY, michaelj, steve74, xrayman67, 3 invisible), 847 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None #67410
09/08/2015 08:21 AM
09/08/2015 08:21 AM
mahokid Offline OP
Traveler
mahokid  Offline OP
Traveler
I know I'm enjoying my morning coffee on the balcony overlooking the crystal clear waters, but I'm still dreaming of the most magnificent meal we enjoyed last evening.
L'effet Mer is in the top two restaurants in Grand Case and luckily it is still a hidden gem with only 12 tables. Being on the water side, with the awnings reaching for the skies, Anguilla sparkles beyond the fishing pier. Gwen who oversees the tables has truly developed into the most genuine, caring, and professional non-owner server on the island at such an early age. Her recently graduated helper Diane, was confident in her support and actually prefers to speak English than her native language. A cool breeze kept the dinning room comfortable as this restaurant can be warm on humid nights. The wine list as more than several bottles starting out at 25 euros. There is probably the best deal on the island for gourmet food with a 32 euro prix fixe. We have enjoyed this many times, but decided to go off the a la carte menu. This menu features many complicated dishes that features many components and varieties of flavor. The presentation of the plates are second to none on the island with only Le Cottage being close. An amuse bouche started the evening with a cheese soup that I would of licked clean if we didn't have other guests near us. The lobster degustation, which can be enjoyed as a "gourmet" starter featured lobster tar-tar, a lobster stick ( wrapped like a spring roll ) and a lobster thermidor served in a can display, and a serving of lobster bisque. Not to be out done, the foie gras tasting featured the usual pan seared slice garnished with a small round of baby pineapple, foie gras soup, duck liver terrine served with of tube of passion fruit jelly, and foie gras tar-tar ganished with raspberry pearls. Stephane the chef is one of only a few on the island that elevates his love of cooking with using molecular methods. It is fun to be surprised to bite into a little round ball and have the burst of raspberry fill your mouth. These appetizers are very fairly priced at 21 euros considering the effort needed to put out such a plate. These would be $40-50 at a 5 star restaurant in New York. Gwen mentioned the word "gourmet" that referred in a way to guests that like to eat well. I will be happy to "take away" (doggie bag) a meal if it allows me to savor more of the chef's dishes. Entrees continued our journey of food ecstasy. My wife's trilogy of scallops featured large sea scallops. The Rossini was topped with foie gras, another scallop was smoked and served over mushroom risotto. while the third was topped with a petite conch cake. Small rounds of potatoes finished the plate with a side of truffle sauce. My entrée featured tuna done three ways. seared rare, tar-tar, and sashimi slices. I couldn't decide which I enjoyed the most. Dessert continued with a non chocolate choice. A refreshing bowl of lemon / lime dessert is just indescribable. The taste buds were awaken again and from a chocolate lovers point of view, well worth the change of flavor. The dessert was topped with bite sized meringue and little pearls of sun burst lemon. I can promise you will ask yourself why it took you so long to visit. I loved to hear your view.

SXM Sponsors
Re: L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None [Re: mahokid] #67411
09/08/2015 09:22 AM
09/08/2015 09:22 AM
Western MA
S
SandS Offline
Traveler
SandS  Offline
Traveler
S
Western MA
Another yummy review.. Since we have never been to most of the restaurants you have reviewed we would appreciate a price range. (approx. 150 or 200). Your first few reviews had prices which give the uninformed like us some idea of what we will spend. We have throughly enjoyed all your reviews and will definitely try some of these restaurants.

Re: L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None [Re: mahokid] #67412
09/08/2015 09:25 AM
09/08/2015 09:25 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Hi. Where is this restaurant, as I am not familiar with it.

Carol Hill
Re: L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None [Re: Carol_Hill] #67413
09/08/2015 09:34 AM
09/08/2015 09:34 AM
mahokid Offline OP
Traveler
mahokid  Offline OP
Traveler
L'Effert Mer is right next to Cosmos. It is easy to park in the free lot across from Le Pressior. Don't give any money to the "lot attendant" who asks for $3. Four large plates, one shared dessert, a bottle of rose, and a glass of wine with the foie gras came out to $162. This is the best meal in 10 days and definitely reasonable for the quality and presentation of the food. You may try the 32 euro prix fixe which is a great value to try out this not well known restaurant. They are also open for lunch with a gourmet menu as well.

Re: L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None [Re: mahokid] #67414
09/08/2015 09:37 AM
09/08/2015 09:37 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
OK, I don't get down to that end of the street much, so wasn't familiar with it. The prix fixe menu does sound like a good bargain.

Carol Hill
Re: L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None [Re: mahokid] #67415
09/08/2015 09:39 AM
09/08/2015 09:39 AM
P
pandpfromcanada Offline
Traveler
pandpfromcanada  Offline
Traveler
P
We had a fabulous meal there in March. We will definitely return on our next visit. The food and service were both excellent. Since we were a group of 6 we made a reservation and were glad we had as the place filled up. Thank you for taking the time to write reviews of the places you have been to.

Re: L'Effert Mer Reiew, Second to None [Re: mahokid] #67416
09/08/2015 05:12 PM
09/08/2015 05:12 PM
falmouth,MA
wendyk Offline
Traveler
wendyk  Offline
Traveler
falmouth,MA
I'm so pleased to read of another high end restaurant in GC that is open for lunch!
Loving your reviews - thank you!