Carol asked whether I’d post a trip report, so here goes. I recently returned from a heavenly 2 weeks at Caliente Caribe in the Dominican Republic. This was my second visit in 18 months, and it confirmed my initial view that the resort is spectacular – and surely one of the best-kept secrets in the clothing-optional world!

During my stay, guest numbers hovered between about 10 and 20, and it was like a little private club; everyone knew each other’s names, and the whole group got on tremendously well. We all met some lovely people and we all had such a good time!

Visually, the resort is stunning. 120 acres of swaying palms and manicured lawns. The well-publicised refurbishment is complete, and all the rooms have aircon, TV, fridge, nice bathrooms, comfy beds, etc. The phone system is installed, but doesn’t yet work for outgoing calls (but hey, this is the Caribbean!). As a result of the low guest numbers, we all got free upgrades to Oceanfront Villas, which are superb rooms and right next to the beach-level facilities.

The food is good – rather than great – but perfectly adequate for the standard of the resort. This isn’t a Hidden Beach or Grand Lido Braco, but then it’s much less expensive. One of the nicest features is that all the food, even breakfast, is a la carte, waiter-served. No buffets. Presentation is good, portions are generous, and the staff are happy to mix-and-match if you fancy trying 2 main courses.

As for “clothing optional”, at Caliente Caribe this basically means that anything goes. Most people were nude all day long at the beach, but the few who chose to wear something weren’t made to feel at all uncomfortable. At dinner, although there are “theme nights”, maybe half were “in theme”, the rest either nude or in coolish shirts/wraps. It’s whatever you want it to be. It’s easy, and it’s very pleasant.

The resort is on 2 levels. At beach level, there are the Villas, the beach bar (where lunch is served), 2 swimming pools and a super oceanfront hot tub. At the higher level, there are the Seacliff hotel rooms, the main reception and restaurant (where breakfast and dinner are served), shop, a huge pool with swim-up bar, another hot tub, an entertainment pavilion, the disco, and a well-equipped gym. There’s a flight of steps to negotiate to get between levels – I found these quite easy, but the resort will happily run a golf buggy between levels for people who find the steps too tiring.

Even though guest numbers were low Alex, the excellent activities director (he’s a professional!), arranged entertainment every evening after dinner, mainly using local Dominican acts, and they were generally very good. The newly-refurbished disco was open most nights and it has a good sound system, flattering lighting, and of course a pole!

But the jewel in Caliente Caribe’s crown has to be the staff. Virtually without exception, they are warm, friendly, attentive, responsive and professional. If you could bottle their enthusiasm and sell it, you’d make a fortune! The whole experience, from airport pickup to departure, is full of positives. And if something’s not quite right, they’ll react quickly. When one of the hot tubs was found to be coolish around midnight one night, they had a maintenance guy there within 10 minutes. When someone needed some medicines one evening, they sent someone immediately to the nearest pharmacy. This is much better service than I’ve seen in most other Caribbean resorts.

Joe Reed, the General Manager, has done a great job of maintaining and enhancing the Caribe experience. He also took the trouble most evenings to circulate and chat with the guests – a nice gesture.

So what’s the downside? My only criticism is that the bathing area of the beach is small, and the entrance to the water can be a bit rocky. While I was at Caribe, Steve Dorsey (Caliente’s Chief Operating Officer) visited for a week and he was kind enough to share with me some of his plans for the future of Caribe, including the possibility of greatly extending the beach frontage and improving the sea entry. Occupancy levels are increasing steadily, and there’s a firm commitment to keep enhancing the appeal of this unique resort.

Some guests said that prior to arriving they’d been a little concerned about the transfer from Puerto Plata airport, and about security. All I’d say is that the transfer is very carefully arranged – there’s a taxi driver waiting with a sign with your name on it, and he has a letter of introduction from the resort. The air-conditioned cab has a cooler in it with cold beer, coke and water. The trip is about 80-90 minutes, along a main road which is admittedly bumpy in parts, but which allows you to see some of the extremes of poverty in this poor country, as well as some of its beauty. The new Samana airport is only about 20 minutes away, with a better road, and more airlines are starting to use it. As for security, the resort is well-enclosed and has discreet security patrols all night. Most people don’t even bother locking their rooms, such is the feeling of safety. And all rooms have a safe for valuables.

Check out the pricing – right now, a couple can get a week’s all-inclusive stay in an Oceanfront Villa for less than $2000, which is way cheaper than Hidden Beach or Braco.

I’m adding a few pics – some from my recent stay and some from my previous stay in November 06. Click on the thumbnails for a bigger pic.

Anyone who wants a naturist holiday with fairly guaranteed sunshine should visit Caliente Caribe. Go soon before it gets too popular and the prices rise! I’m certainly booking again for next year!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/tiger79pics/th_EdenBayNov06061.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/tiger79pics/th_BareBuns.jpg[/img]