Member Spotlight
RobT
RobT
Florida
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
admiralmoon, MichaelBritz
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (MikeBiondo, captmonk, CaribbeanCanadians, bostonbob, eightzerobits, lcote, RickinAtlanta, SXMScubaman, anet_scot, caribbeangirl13, jazzgal, hokiesailor, MNsnowbird, richupm, richard4th, jbutah, Manpot, Todd_Melinda_K, Matt W, ndfaninnc, marisol, MrEZgoin, ericlut, GeorgeC1, Time Will Tell, ChiTownHarry, mark37, 8 invisible), 619 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Greek Charter Company recomendations #67889
09/12/2015 10:34 AM
09/12/2015 10:34 AM
Birmingham, AL
M
mms Offline OP
Traveler
mms  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Birmingham, AL
Good day y'all, trying to get some recommendations on charter operations out of Greece, but first I need to ask about timing in order to settle where in the isles might be a good place to start.

Our hope is to sail some time in September, 2016, but I wanted to check with those that have "been there, done that" to see whether this is a fine time to go, or should we aim for a different time.

We aren't terribly concerned about how busy it is. Our main focus is on wind and water conditions. Warm water is key, with favorable sailing conditions a very close second. The group will include a few newbies this go around, and I'd love to be able to show them a good first sailing experience.

So, does September sound like a good time?? If not, when around that time might you recommend?

Given our timing and our "wants", are there any solid suggestions of where to start from? This is the biggest thing for me. I've never sailed in this area and I'm a bit overwhelmed by number of routes to choose from. (Not a bad problem to have at all!) Sandsailsun offered some suggestions for floatillas, though the group has since balked at that idea.

The one company I've been in touch with Istion Charters. Their selection of cats is up to par, in my opinion, but as a bareboat charterer I've learned that the fleet is only as good as the company that backs it up. Is Istion reputable, and what other charter outfits might you suggest?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

- MMS

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Sponsors
Re: Greek Charter Company recomendations [Re: mms] #67890
09/12/2015 03:54 PM
09/12/2015 03:54 PM
Devon, UK
salica Offline
Traveler
salica  Offline
Traveler
Devon, UK
Sunsail operate in Greece. Same 'family' as the Moorings. You willl find that cats are not as popular in Europe as U.S. and so not as much availability. September is coming to the end of the season. Water temperatures are, of course, warmer by then, but places could be starting to close down. Go right at the beginning of September, not the end of the month. Potentially more wind, rain and lower temperatures the later you leave it. European schools break July and August ( varies country to country, but mostly over these two months) so they are the busiest.
We have sailed many times in Mediterranean and Carribean. If you have keen snorkellers onboard, be aware that snorkelling does not compare anywhere in Med to the Caribbean. The fish just are not there in same quantity or quality. I am always disappointed. Had some good times in Greece despite that though.

Re: Greek Charter Company recomendations [Re: salica] #67891
09/12/2015 05:17 PM
09/12/2015 05:17 PM
Birmingham, AL
M
mms Offline OP
Traveler
mms  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Birmingham, AL
Great info! Thanks. My inclination is to aim for last weekend of August through the beginning of September.

I would absolutely prefer a monohull (and have priced out some really rather incredible looking boats), but with the size group we have and the newbies on board, we've decided to go w a cat. Snorkeling probably won't be high on the list, but warm weather and water is very high on the list.

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Re: Greek Charter Company recomendations [Re: mms] #67892
12/02/2015 08:48 PM
12/02/2015 08:48 PM
Tustin CA
d_fish Offline
Traveler
d_fish  Offline
Traveler
Tustin CA
Hi There MMS

We chartered in Greece this past June and absolutely loved it! In fact we loved it so much we are planning on going back September 2016 - 53ft Jeanneau mono already booked!

First before you decide whom to charter with, you need to decide where you wish to sail, such as the Cyclades, Dodecanese, or Ionion grouping of islands. Also how long will you charter? Depending on how many days, may dictate the area you choose. In addition do you plan on anchoring or med mooring most nights? The answer to these questions may determine what type of vessel you choose and where you charter. For example it may be difficult to find med mooring spots for Catamarans in high season in some of the areas which you are planning the tail end of (end of August)

Cyclades can be rough with strong winds and distances between islands (depending on itinerary) can be 20-35 nm each day.

Dodecanese better for monohull as they offer tiny ports with limited space. Wind there can be as strong as Cyclades but the islands are closer together.

Ionian islands, shallower waters and close distances between islands (10-20 nm each day). Less wind and waves.

Last June we chartered a 43 ft Beneteau from Athens (Nautica Charters) based in Alimos Marina. We sailed one way from Athens to Paros (Cyclades) as part of a flotilla so that we could learn the procedures in the harbors, which we basically found out is first come first served - med mooring everywhere. No radioing and requesting assignments.

The weather for the most part was beautiful, however the last 2 days of our charter we experienced strong wind beaufort 7-8 and very rough seas. The waves were about 4-5 ft at a few seconds apart. Felt like being in a ringer washer, water roiling and churning. We did not feel unsafe but I would have preferred to be sailing our own boat (a Tartan mono fully equipped with all our gear).

With that said, we are choosing to sail the Cyclades again but for 2 weeks this time - no flotilla. A 7 day charter wont really get you into the heart of the Cyclades as the distances are so great. The first day or so you will still be in the Peloponnese island grouping which isn't far from Athens so they are often crowded with weekend sailors from Athens.

It is an amazing area, the people are incredibly friendly and water is beautiful. Truly magical. Happy trip planning!

Moderated by  Eric_Hill