Member Spotlight
jmon
jmon
42.99N 76.46W
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Dutchman, hathead, lookinatfifty, Lovetheocean, LuSea
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (beachy, Alltech63, Jerry_R, Fitzhughlaw, George1234, Todd_Melinda_K, Midsouth, TravelHat, ARC, wct49, Lionsail, actionone, GeorgeC1, ydrwrb1, 4 invisible), 838 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 #69018
09/24/2015 05:45 AM
09/24/2015 05:45 AM
Decatur Illinois
astropilot Offline OP
Traveler
astropilot  Offline OP
Traveler
Decatur Illinois
Saint Martin Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015

Good evening from Mont Vernon,

There is magic all around us. Magic that is yours for the taking, and all you have do is slow down a bit and look for it, and when you find it let it work on your soul. Have you found your magic today?

We took several helpings of magic today, and added them to our magic box called memories; and best of all they were freely given to Diana and I.

We took our first, and most powerful piece of magic this morning when we awoke from our dreams. We were both still there for each other, as we have been for the past 36 years, and always will be, until one of us leaves this earth in search of what lies beyond life. Love is magic. Love truly can conquer all of life's trials and tribulations. Claim this piece of magic, for it is the most powerful magic of all.

Our second piece of magic came in the form of a very small delicate, black bird with neon green on its wings. This small bird flew out of nowhere, and landed on our balcony railing while we were having coffee, and enjoying the breaking of day. He was there for only a short time before he flew on to share the magic with someone else. Had we not been there at that time, and place, this piece of magic would have been lost forever to us. Luckily we claimed it and added it to our magic box.

There is magic to be claimed in listening to the the gentle roar of the surf, as waves that started out a world away break and release its energy on the sands of the beach. This, to me, is special magic. For just as the waves slowly grind down the hard and unforgiving rocks of the land into soft and forgiving sand, it also slowly grinds away the troubles in the soul. And, if you let it, it will soften your heart, and slowly wash your troubles away.

There is magic in a sunrise. To see dark black of night slowly change to dark violets, and then a multitude of blues, and oranges, and reds, and yellows, and amber, and shades of gray. To see the disk of our life-giving star, slowly rise above the horizon, and to feel the cool of the night slowly give way to heat of day.

Yes there is magic there, in knowing that of the entire universe, there is only one place that man knows of where there are creatures, such as you and I who can appreciate the magic, and that place is Earth. There is also magic in knowing that if the earth were just a little closer to the sun, or farther away from it, there would be no magic to be claimed, for there would be no people to claim it.

On Saint Martin, far away our everyday life, and the responsibilities that go with it there are opportunities that abound for you to claim your magic, just slow down, look for it, claim it, and add it to your magic box. Remember, the magic is back home too, it might be a bit harder to find it sometimes, but it is there, and waiting for you to claim it. And if at times you can’t find it; open your magic box, and reclaim a piece of it from there.

People come to Saint Martin for many different reasons. Some, like us, come for the beaches. Some come for the shopping, or the restaurants, or resorts; but rather they know it or not they are really looking for the magic…

So our day was spent looking for and claiming our magic, and adding the pieces to our magic box.

I claimed a piece of the magic today while snorkeling along the rocks that run into Orient Bay. I had been out for a while, and wasn't seeing much. And then the magic was there, in the form of a school of juvenile Sergeant Major fish. There were probably a hundred or more of these small fish in the school, each not much longer than inch swimming among the rocks, and watching this giant of an intruder into their domain. I spent a several minutes hovering above them, claiming my magic of the moment, and adding it to my magic box.

There was a ship in port today. This meant that there were a lot folks from the ship on the beach looking to claim their magic. For many, it was undoubtedly their first time to island, and Orient Beach. I couldn’t help but wonder if they felt the magic, and claimed a piece of it for themselves.

One particular young couple captured my attention as they arrived on the beach. The young woman wanted to go into the water with her husband, but he was not having any part of that. She pleaded with him for several minutes, before she went in alone, while he huffed and puffed and turned and walked away. He lost an important piece of the magic today, one that he’ll never be able to reclaim.

Magic also came to me today, when perfect strangers a few days ago, were chatting, and exchanging life stories with one another, like we had been the best of friends for a lifetime.

Magic came to yet again this evening, when after a long and enjoyable day on the beach, I saw my dear and sweet wife napping on the bed. She was more peaceful and relaxed than I’ve seen her in sometime, and I knew she had found her magic today too…

So for now, Good night from Mont Vernon, and go look for your magic at every opportunity and tuck them safely into your magic box...

Dave & Diana
SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: astropilot] #69019
09/24/2015 08:35 AM
09/24/2015 08:35 AM
M
mort Offline
Traveler
mort  Offline
Traveler
M
Thank you for the wonderful reminder that we don't have to look very far to find the magic in our lives.

Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: astropilot] #69020
09/24/2015 02:32 PM
09/24/2015 02:32 PM
St Louis, MO
SXMNorm Offline
Traveler
SXMNorm  Offline
Traveler
St Louis, MO
Thanks again for the report.

Next SXM visit -November 2023. Also January 2024.
Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: astropilot] #69021
09/24/2015 03:42 PM
09/24/2015 03:42 PM
Boston, MA
D
Daisy304 Offline
Traveler
Daisy304  Offline
Traveler
D
Boston, MA
Excellent read today and so true!

Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: astropilot] #69022
09/24/2015 05:28 PM
09/24/2015 05:28 PM
Western MA
S
SandS Offline
Traveler
SandS  Offline
Traveler
S
Western MA
Magic is everywhere but the magic of the beautiful turquoise water of St Maarten is what brings us back every year. Our daughter found her magic in St Maarten also and was married there last February. Love your reports. Keep up the good work.

Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: SandS] #69023
09/25/2015 02:36 PM
09/25/2015 02:36 PM
B
BobNLiz Offline
Traveler
BobNLiz  Offline
Traveler
B
I had to smile as I read your post. SXM does bring out reflective thoughts after a few days... when life slows down... when you meet the locals and find for them life is simpler than ours... money is not as important.. they are glad we have come to experience their world.

Bob and I too wake up early to enjoy the magic of the awakening of a new day.. We stay on Dawn Beach.. aptly named...

April cannot get here soon enough... thanks for the smile

Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: astropilot] #69024
09/26/2015 03:23 PM
09/26/2015 03:23 PM
Arizona
A
azranger Offline
Traveler
azranger  Offline
Traveler
A
Arizona
Thanks for the report. How is the seaweed on the north end of the beach? Any odor?

Edit: I see you have already answered my questions in your earlier reports and photos. I have not been on the forum recently and started reading your most recent report.
Just curious if there was any attempt to clean the beach by the end of your stay.

Last edited by azranger; 09/26/2015 05:44 PM.
Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: azranger] #69025
09/27/2015 10:26 PM
09/27/2015 10:26 PM
I
islandtime324 Offline
Traveler
islandtime324  Offline
Traveler
I
David and Diane, this is the most honest and beautiful post. Thank you for reminding us why we go back.

Re: Trip Report -- Day Seven September 23, 2015 [Re: astropilot] #69026
09/29/2015 11:54 AM
09/29/2015 11:54 AM
R
rusticchisler Offline
Traveler
rusticchisler  Offline
Traveler
R
Beautiful thoughts, thank you for posting.