We were at Caliente Caribe from 6/3 till 8/10. Everyone takes different routes to the Dominican Republic and ours was from Tampa to Puerto Plata, through San Juan. The flight from San Juan was on American Eagle, which defines close quarters. However the flight was over and the airport experience was brief. When we exited the terminal there was a gentleman holding a sign with our name and we were off in a few minutes. Our driver was Juan, from Rio San Juan. He had a cooler with assorted beverages and a clean air-conditioned van. As we traveled to Caliente he would point out the welcome sign to each city or town and tell us how many more kilometers we still had to travel. We arrived within his predicted time of 1½ hours.

Once there, we were greeted with a welcome drink and our luggage taken care of. Henry gave us a tour of the resort while explaining where the meals are served and the times served. Basically breakfast is served each morning from approximately 7:00 AM till 10:00 AM at the uphill area. Dinner is served there also from about 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM. Lunch is served at the lower area, at the beach bar. There is also a daily snack. All except once were at the beach bar; one day at the uphill bar.

This is where I have to mention the steps. There are 58 of them going up and for some curious reason, the same number coming down. Sober, they are fairly easy.

Henry brought us to our villa, #428 that was at the end of the second row and had a wonderful view of the palm tree lined lawn and the ocean. The villa was in good condition and sported a recently remodeled bathroom. There were separate air-conditioners for the living room and bedroom, each with a remote control. The bedroom had a safe, which was functional. The villa also had a complete kitchen area, sans stove. Since I didn’t plan on doing any cooking, this was a minor inconvenience. However, there was a fully functional coffee maker, which is important. I don’t think I could have done the dreaded 58 without coffee. The furnishings were adequate for our purposes. The TV worked and had a good amount of channels available. While most were Spanish, there were several English channels to check out the news, sports and market while waiting for the coffee to take effect.

When we arrived there were 12 couples there. I was told, a week prior to our arrival that there were 24 couples scheduled. We made acquaintances right away and proceeded to enjoy the week.

The schedule was posted each day and varied from day to day. There were Spanish lessons, rock painting, water aerobics, water volleyball, “testicle” toss (which sounded painful, so I passed), bocce ball and of course, body painting. I read 3 books while there, worked on my tan and I was up for every water volleyball game that developed. My wife did the water aerobics each day it was offered. I did water aerobics one day, albeit while on a float. I didn’t want to bulk up too much.

The couples we met were a varied lot. There were Germans, Italians, French, Canadians (eh) and a few Americans. Meeting people from different backgrounds is, for me, one the highlights of any trip. It always seems that nudists generally are more open to conversation with a stranger in a pool than textile vacationers. Everyone is always in style.

During the evening hours we would generally go up the dreaded steps and have a pre-dinner drink at the main bar. We would usually join another couple or couples for dinner and afterward check out the entertainment. One night they had karaoke another was a magic show and there were different types of music the other nights.

While some wore the prescribed attire for the evening, most didn’t. The women wore anything from a summer dress to a sarong and some lingerie. Some of the men were nude and some wore an assortment of shorts, shirts, thongs and wraps.

After dinner and a “few” cocktails, most of the couples would venture down the dreaded 58 towards the lower forty. Once there, most dropped off all clothing at their villas and went to the beach bar, armed with a towel to sit on. While some played pool most gathered at the bar or a table and had conversations with our new acquaintances.

Okay, here is what I personally think are the positives of Caliente Caribe. The resort is one of the most beautiful I have been to in the Caribbean. The scenic views, the beautiful lawns and foliage are wonderful.

The staff at the resort is truly an asset. They each offer their service with a smile and go the extra inch to make sure you are satisfied. The activities directors, Alex, Juan and Julissa were each sorely tested to keep 24 people entertained in a resort that could accommodate several hundred. They showed great enthusiasm even when only 3 people showed up for Spanish lessons or four for water aerobics (plus me on my float). The bartenders were fun and eager to serve. The wait staff was always smiling and right there with coffee in the morning after I ascended the dreaded 58. Also, they were like that all week, not just when they knew that you were probably leaving and would think you might leave an extra gratuity. While the management clearly states that gratuities are included, I saw most of the couples scrambling for change to facilitate doing the right thing.

Okay, here are the negatives. Now I know, from this board and others that some people go to a resort and like it and become defensive regarding all that might have a criticism. Please accept the following a constructive exercise.

Food. I was disappointed with the food. Having said that, breakfast was good. Lunch was a disappointing. The menu lacked variety and was, at times, prepared poorly. One day I received a grilled chicken sandwich with a green tomato. Okay, settle down, I am aware of green tomatoes and I like them, fried, of course. However, an un-ripened tomato, which can’t be chewed, does not belong on a plate. Beef, another issue, where is it? The first night there, I ordered a Filet of beef. It was horrible. The last night, we were there I tried again, and it was palatable but not good. On the beach party night, they served an assortment of chicken, ribs, goat and fish. The ribs, chicken and goat were good. At our table, we had a plate with everyone’s fish, piled up for disposal. I don’t want to belabor the point; suffice it to say that the food was not the highlight of the trip.

Liquor was another sore point. Here, I am responding to the advertised “top shelf liquor”. If you asked for Dewars or Absolute you could get it and they have to travel to the back room to retrieve it at the upstairs bar; sometimes it was not available at the beach bar. If you otherwise asked for vodka, you will get a third world brand. The house white and red wines were not enjoyable; but we drank them anyway two days into the trip. I think you get the point, so enough.

Overall I enjoyed Caliente Caribe very much. As I said, we met some nice people; we were in a great resort and enjoyed great service. Further, I thought the price was reasonable.