We recently returned from our first trip to the Boston, and we can easily see what many find so attractive about life in the northeast. Our trip was set aside as a birthday gift to our youngest son (14), and the highlight was to be a trip to Fenway Park to see his beloved Red Sox. We had invited my parents to tag along, as father is also a great baseball fan and historian. Thus they acquiesced and the trip was set.

Arriving early afternoon on Tuesday, upon advice from several board members, we set off via taxi towards the hotel. Keep in mind as you read this accounting that my father and mother, being from the small metropolitan area of Kansas City, have had no exposure to any public mass transportation systems. After much research and a good deal of hand wringing, we settled on the Hotel Buckminster, largely because of its location. It is located directly across Landsdown Street and I-90, behind the Green Monster. Imagine our son’s surprise when he discovered his window overlooked Brookline Ave. with a view directly over The Monster.

We took a quick trip around Fenway on foot just to get our bearings. We had lunch at Game On, directly at the base of the stadium. It was good fare and we were all famished. After lunch we decided to take the subway to the Museum of Science, which had a temporary display on baseball in America. A brief aside to share that soon after boarding at the Kenmore Station, the unsteady rocking, the total darkness out the windows, and the stale stench of human perspiration made for a Perfect Storm and my father was almost immediately nauseous. We did eventually survive the trip but we knew the balance would have to be above ground.

Wednesday was our night at the ballpark so we spent the day touring the Freedom Trail. Taking the bus in proved much more enjoyable. We had opted for the self-guided tour variety, and the AAA Travel Guide was a big help. We especially enjoyed the Quincy Market area. We’d started at Boston Common, and made the trail as far as Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market when we decided to save the last few stops for the next day. We’d already completed a good deal of walking and still had to return to Boston Common area to catch a returning bus.

Bonnie, Nathan, and I ate at Game On again for supper, as one of us absolutely had to get in the park the moment the gates opened. Oh, I would be absolutely remiss in skipping that we started the day with a tour of Fenway Park. We took the 9:00AM tour, and everyone of our group felt it was far and away the best thing we did on our trip. The guide was informative, funny, and the tour was extensive. Nathan was overjoyed!

We did take in a game, and Nathan camped out near the Red Sox bullpen from the moment we stepped in the park, eventually getting a baseball from one of the pitching coaches. For a true baseball fanatic, in every sense of the word, he was in Mecca. He loved every moment, including savoring a Fenway Frank!

Thursday we headed back to complete the final stages of our Freedom Trail walk. Skipping ahead to Quincy Market we finally settled in a small pizzeria that served breakfast as well. Nunzio’s is near Long Wharf and directly across from the New England Aquarium. The food was good and plentiful. After breakfast we went in the Aquarium and our timing couldn’t have been better. After a thorough tour we exited and noticed the long lines now forming, and many, many, groups of small children. We wrapped up the day with stops at Paul Revere’s House, the Old North Church, and a lengthy walk to the U.S.S. Constitution.

Returning to the hotel my parents were now again exhausted and ready to take the night off. Nathan was committed to trying to get another game in. So he and I participated in another Boston tradition…standing in line for Day of Game ticket sales. We got in line at a little after 3:00 for ticket sales that started at 5:00. It was a good experience though. We did get in, however they were standing room tickets only. After the long walk we’d already had, the standing in line for 2-1/2 hours, and then standing or walking around killing 2 more hours until the 7:00 start, we were both quite tired. When he said his legs were killing him and he might want to leave early I was inwardly thrilled!

We left in about the 5th inning and the good guys were winning 9-0. We returned to the room and picked up Bonnie to go for some supper. We ate at Bertucci’s, a small pizzeria on Kenmore Square. It was good though Nathan and I struggled to stay awake through the meal.

Friday was our day to leave so we stayed close to the hotel and had breakfast again at Game On. We made one last lap around the Fenway surrounds and stopped in to window shop at one of the large souvenir stores. Returning, we packed, lazed around the lobby, and eventually called a cab for the airport.

It was a short trip to say the least, but we do feel we got a good snapshot of what Boston has to offer. Some of us would love to return again some day, and Nathan has committed he’s moving there to live. But my dad has officially sworn off subways and that is probably the last time he sees the underground world. All in all we loved Boston and can’t wait to return. Thanks to all that provided advice for us. That is the strength of these boards. Until next time,

JeffV, Bonnie, and Nathan

See our Photo Albums http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/myislandartcom/
An Island Boy in a Landlocked State:(
Twitter: @MyIslandArtJeff