I know it's late. but a lot of stuff has happened.
I wrote (I thought) a nice comprehensive trip report last week only to have it disappear when I hit the "submit" button.
So, I'll try again.
Our trip and fellow traveling companions, Debby & Joel, Lisa & Steve, Shirley & Carl and brother-in-law Remy and Nicole from Paris joined us for everybody's wedding anniversary reunion vacation at Grand Case Beach Resort.
We arrived on Wednesday Oct. 15th just a few hours before OMAR. We had enough time to get our luggage, secure our rental car from Ace/Panoramic and head to a grocery store for necessary items, like wine, cheese, baguette, water and coffee.
Finally arrived at the Grand Case Beach Resort where we were greeted by GM Steve Wright and his capable staff. There wasn't much time for more than an informative meeting stating that the island will be in lockdown at 7PM because hurricane OMAR shifted to the east and will be closer to St. Martin than expected.
Hurricane shutters were closed and locked, no one permitted outside until notified.
Anniversary travelers Debby and Joel, Carl & Shirley had arrived on previous Saturday and had nothing but rain for five days.
They graciously picked up dinner and pre-made breakfast from the Sunset Cafe for the six of us who arrived with OMAR.
Dinner and breakfast was provided by Chantal at the Sunset Cafe. Debby and Joel set up dinner in their room for all ten of us. Thank you Debby & Joel.
We had just enough time to eat before it got nasty.
For the next 12 hours we were in lock down. About 7 AM on Thursday I got up enough nerve to peek out and see what was left. It was the noisy all night, not much sleep, if any ! Shutters rattling, wind and rain beating on the shutters, etc. Then there was the sea pounding on the bulkheads and sea wall at the resort.
To our surprise, GCBC faired rather well. A few grape trees were uprooted, some undermining of the grass seating areas outside our rooms and general wind damage to all the flowers.
As for the rest of the island, it didn't do so well. P-Burg and the airport area had quite a lot of damage. Airport closed until Friday. P-Burg without full power until Monday. Sand washed up into alley ways to Front St. Front St. also had 1 to 2 feet of sand pushed inland.
We went Monday and they were still clearing out sand in the alleys.
As you all probably know by now Sunset Beach Bar, Bamboo Bernie's and Bliss were wiped out. SSBB was reported to reopen the following week.
Enough for now. Will do part 2 later.

2-4-Travel

Time is passing, no better place to watch it go by than in St. Martin !