Member Spotlight
UncleLuff
UncleLuff
Ottawa, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (cabokid, eightzerobits, jeepers, botnot, fabila, stevel13, ohstate, Whale Tail, SXMNAN, Kennys, bailau, NotquiteCapnRon, TRIM, bobbarb, SXMScubaman, NumberCruncher, Todd_Melinda_K, Fletch, Travel Talker, SXMbeacher, singbeach, GeorgeC1, 4 invisible), 981 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
walk to Karakters? #72973
10/29/2015 12:45 PM
10/29/2015 12:45 PM
Rose Tree, PA
PatT Offline OP
Traveler
PatT  Offline OP
Traveler
Rose Tree, PA
Is it possible to walk from Beacon Hill Rd along the beach to Karakters? If so, how long is the walk? Or must we drive around the airport to get there?
Thanks.

But now I think about the good times, down in the Caribbean sunshine...
SXM Sponsors
Re: walk to Karakters? [Re: PatT] #72974
10/29/2015 01:01 PM
10/29/2015 01:01 PM
United States of America
bdeeley Offline
Traveler
bdeeley  Offline
Traveler
United States of America
You can walk there. The amount of time it takes is relative to the individual or group but I personally find it a very reasonable walk.

Be Happy! Simply because you deserve to be. 😁
Re: walk to Karakters? [Re: PatT] #72975
10/29/2015 01:32 PM
10/29/2015 01:32 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
It depends on what you mean by "along the beach". You can definitely walk FROM Beacon Hill Road to Fan Coral Road or over to White Sands Road and thereafter get to the beach and then walk all the way to Karakter if you want. You cannot do so all the way on the beach, as there is no sand, there are in fact cliffs below the condos on Fan Coral Road. You can walk from Beacon Hill Road to Fan Coral Road and take the stairs beside those condos, down to the beach, before Beachside Villas, and then walk the additional 1/4 mile to Karakter down the sand. Or you can walk back to White Sands Road and down White Sands Drive and out to the beach, and then walk the rest of the way to Karakter from there on the sand. Check out Google Maps for the names and locations of those various streets.

Once you are at Beachside, it is around 1/4 mile from there to Karakter on the beach. I would guess the entire distance from Beacon Hill Road to be maybe about 1/2 mile. If you go by White Sands Road, it's flat. If you go Fan Coral, there are some hills there and a pretty steep staircase down. I would not want to climb back up that staircase after a few drinks and a long day in the sun, especially if you're hauling towels, etc. You could walk there and get a cab back.

SXM map
Once you are at the map, zoom in.

Carol Hill
Re: walk to Karakters? [Re: Carol_Hill] #72976
10/29/2015 02:45 PM
10/29/2015 02:45 PM
Rose Tree, PA
PatT Offline OP
Traveler
PatT  Offline OP
Traveler
Rose Tree, PA
Carol_Hill said:
It depends on what you mean by "along the beach". You can definitely walk FROM Beacon Hill Road to Fan Coral Road or over to White Sands Road and thereafter get to the beach and then walk all the way to Karakter if you want. You cannot do so all the way on the beach, as there is no sand, there are in fact cliffs below the condos on Fan Coral Road. You can walk from Beacon Hill Road to Fan Coral Road and take the stairs beside those condos, down to the beach, before Beachside Villas, and then walk the additional 1/4 mile to Karakter down the sand. Or you can walk back to White Sands Road and down White Sands Drive and out to the beach, and then walk the rest of the way to Karakter from there on the sand. Check out Google Maps for the names and locations of those various streets.

Once you are at Beachside, it is around 1/4 mile from there to Karakter on the beach. I would guess the entire distance from Beacon Hill Road to be maybe about 1/2 mile. If you go by White Sands Road, it's flat. If you go Fan Coral, there are some hills there and a pretty steep staircase down. I would not want to climb back up that staircase after a few drinks and a long day in the sun, especially if you're hauling towels, etc. You could walk there and get a cab back.

SXM map
Once you are at the map, zoom in.

Thanks for the scoop. We're near the "Hill" in "Beacon Hill Rd" near the cul de sac. So I guess we walk beacon hill to fan coral rd then hit the beach and hoof-it. 1/2 mile should be no problem. Any good plane photography from over there?

But now I think about the good times, down in the Caribbean sunshine...
Re: walk to Karakters? [Re: PatT] #72977
10/29/2015 02:56 PM
10/29/2015 02:56 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
It is a really nice view out over the airport from there on Fan Coral Road. I guess maybe you could stand there by the stairs and take pictures from there. Otherwise on Fan Coral, I'm not sure where you could get a clear view, that you would not be trespassing. In June, they were doing some construction of some new condos close to that stairway and I assume, without knowing, that someone can access that stairway still.

Carol Hill