Trip Report

Jost Van Dyke, White Bay Villas, December 19-28

Overall, a wonderful trip. Here are some highlights.

We had huge issues with our journey to JVD and they were not because of flight delays. I do not have space to share all of the issues, so I will just share some of the big problems. We flew from Grand Rapids, Michigan in the middle of a blizzard to Atlanta. Our flight was the only flight to Atlanta which left that day because of the storm. We were surprised we even made it to the airport. When we went to the counter to check in, the Delta agent told us the computer system had not changed our flight number when routine changes had been made and so we could not get on the flight. I booked these reservations in February and paid a steep price so we were not happy. To make a long story short, two hours later we were finally checked in and ready to board. We actually stood at the check in counter for two hours while the agent tried multiple ways to check us in. I have no idea how she finally did it, but she had to make several phone calls.

Atlanta was fine and the next day we flew to STT. We always plan to say in Atlanta the Friday night we travel because getting out of Michigan is always a problem in the winter. The STT flight was right on time. Landed at 2:49 and headed to the taxis. For the first time, we pre-booked with Marjorie Smith of Smith’s Ferry. I will not do that again. We do not check luggage and I was assured we would not have to wait for others with luggage. We had to wait about 35 minutes and consequently missed the 3:15 ferry. So, we get to the ferry dock at 3:40 and the next ferry breaks. We sit there until 5:45 when we finally leave the dock. Because no ferrys had left since 3:00, the ferry was PACKED. Stifling hot. Luggage all over. Then we get to West End and cannot get off because Customs is so overloaded with people and luggage. It was a chaotic zoo. We had the captain of the ferry radio ahead to the JVD ferry to wait and they waited until 7pm. But, we couldn’t get off the ferry. Finally, they took just my husband and me off the ferry and we went through immigration. They took us around the building to get through customs because the ferry was waiting which was very nice of them. But, we missed the JVD ferry by 4 minutes. I don’t blame them for leaving. They had waited a long time.

I had been in contact with Malia from White Bay Villas and was supposed to call when we got to West End if we missed the ferry. Well, now I have no cell service, so I borrow someone’s phone, pay her to use it and Malia sets up a water taxi. So, now we are on a small boat in the dark with no life jackets on crossing to JVD in choppy water and had to pay 150.00. We made it to Corsairs for dinner and tried to relax. I have left out other things about the ferry, but, overall, it was horrific. We have traveled multiple times to JVD through San Juan and STT and have never really had an experience that worked well. We have always managed, but this time it was so bad we will never use the ferry to JVD again. If we go back, we will use a private water taxi from STT.

Once on JVD, life was magical. Pizza at Corsairs, Christmas Eve dinner at Foxy’s Taboo, Mic at Sandcastle, and Thad and Malia are all such wonderful people. We feel like we are home for the holidays when we are there at Christmas.

We stayed in the Mango Cottage at White Bay Villas and loved every minute of it. They are very accommodating to your every need. We didn’t need much, but they were kind enough to get our groceries off the ferry when we missed it. They brought them to our villa and put everything away and put on music for us. They even took our luggage up to the cottage while we ate at Corsairs.

Everyday we walked the road from Sandcastle to Great Harbor and then had breakfast on the deck at the Cottage. Bobby’s sent everything we ordered and we purchased some soda at the Perfect Pineapple lobby/store. She sells soda, water, and munchies and is open early in the morning. She also makes breakfast and lunch.

We then spent each day on the beach. I just love the Johnnycakes from One Love and their lunches. Of course, we adore Mic at Soggy Dollar. Seddy at One Love sat and chatted with us as well. Our address while we were there was the first palm tree on the right. How great is that???

We also always had happy hour back at the cottage on the deck.

The journey home was uneventful except for when we couldn’t get off the plane in Atlanta because border patrol was searching for someone. They got on and checked passports. Then they took off two people and we all had to show passports to five border patrol agents to get off the flight.

I am still missing JVD but because of the ferry situation, we are going to go to St. John next Christmas. I know we will miss things about JVD, but I also like St. John and it is just easier to only do one short ferry which runs all day every hour.

As for packing, we don’t check luggage and my carry on was not full and I still packed too much.

Overall, a wonderfully relaxing and magical trip.