Just returned from our fifth trip to “paradise”. This year I am going to try a different format than in the past. Two reasons, the day to day I found a bit boring (and judging from responses so did you) and second I didn’t make notes this year, I’m one year older and my memory is failing.

Flight
No major issues. Arrived Dec. 6 and went home Dec. 20 direct USair to Phila. Unlike Georgia, I was on the later flight home and although a bit slow at check in because of the earlier cancelled flight, had no delays in coming home

Transportation
As always Unity. I had requested the “ugly duckling” and Michael complied. Dings and dents but who cared. The car was a blue something or other (I know nothing about cars) and we loved it. Amongst a sea of white we always located the car. Traffic seemed a little lighter this year but it may be because we are used to it. My sister and brother and spouses joined us this year and were stunned by the traffic.

Accommodations
La Vista, my home away from home. I love the place. The views, the rooms, the pool and the restaurants. Most of all the people who work there and who stay there the weeks we are there. Wine,cheese,Etna and a sunset from my porch, is there anything better?

Beaches
Orient- Always fun to go to one time. Almost empty but only one cruise in that day. Ate at Kokoa (sp). 1.3 to the Euro. Food okay but didn’t expect more
Friar- A couple of visits. I love the beach, probably my favorite. Kali’s is always fun but Jabba is no longer there and it slows the pace significantly. He told me last year he wasn’t coming back but I was hoping he changed his mind. No free rum with the chairs anymore and no more renditions of God Bless America.
We also went down to Friars Beach Bar. The hamburger was delicious. It was also 1.3 to 1 but the chairs were $10 cheaper than Kali’s
Mullet- Love this beach as well. Rosie’s ribs always rank high on my list and at $3 how can you go wrong
Le Galion- Our new beach for the year. It is a children’s beach with clear calm waters. Not to our liking but glad we tried it.

Shopping
No shopping this year. Not even my usual bottle or two of single malt at Gulmohars. We travel with carryons and if we bought booze would have had to pay $25 to send it through at the airport. Add that to the increased price because of our ever-dropping dollar and there were no purchases. The parking at Phillipsburg has gotten beyond ridiculous, another reason to pass on shopping.

Crime and Dengue
No problem but I certainly noted the number of crime reports in the Herald and was very aware of my surrounding. I am also an early to bed type. The winner of the spelling bee is no longer front page news

Restaurants
OK folks, my favorite part. I could write a book except the doctor says I have to keep moving to lose the ten pounds I added so I will keep it short but will glad expound upon request

Top of the list
Bistro Caribe- first time (I was an Alabama man) The Sea Bass, Escargot, Duck and everything else was super. On a night that had every restaurant we passed empty, they remained full the entire time we were they and deservedly so. 1.15-1
Bistro Nu- I love this place and it remains at the top of my list. The salads were great. The beef bougonuine was delicious and the veal stew absolutely wonderful 1.2-1
Le Petite Auberge- Francoise is the best. Her dinners are not only wonderful but incredibly eye pleasing as well. We closed the place down after a meal of house salad, orange roughy and mixed fruit tart for a price fix of 25 euro. 1.4-1 but still a great bargain
Mark’s Place- Thanks to all who insisted this is the best ribs on the island. I am now among you. Went twice and both times they were falling off the bone in a first rate sauce

Second Tier but still excellent
Can’t define all at the top but had super meals at these as well
Gutside- what a special place. Found it closed the first time we went but on our last night found Richard cooking in the kitchen. Had the grilled lobster smothered in butter and garlic and spouse had a whole snapper. With salad, rice, plantain and a large bottle of water it was $44. Thank you TTOL for letting me know such a place exists. Richard joined us at the table and we had a lively discussion.1-1
Toppers At the Sea- just opened at Flamingo. The Snapper was wonderful, view was great, a real pleasant evening
Saratoga- love this place but was not up to its near perfect standard. Had a big party going on and may have affected the quality a bit. Divers Scallops were excellent but my stuffed snapper a bit dry. First time it has fallen off my top list.
Claude’s Mini- usually I say lots of lobster for a fair price. Because it’s an all you can eat the food is usually good but not exceptional. This year it was exceptional and as always had a great time. They added grilled lobster to the cold lobster, you no loner have to ask them to grill it. $57 a person
Chesterfield’s-had a very good lunch there, will try for dinner next year
Good but….
Turtle Pier
Pizza Galley- Live in the heart of Philly so it’s hard to please me with a pizza
Lee’s
Pineapple Pete’s (they wanted $37 for the thermidor, went for the coconut shrimp instead

Disappointed
The only place we were disappointed was Uncle Harry’s. Not because the food wasn’t good but because it was so expensive. Lobsters were $36 a pound. Everywhere else they were about $24 a pound. That’s a huge difference and just wasn’t worth the difference

So much for my short report. Thanks for reading