[color:"blue"]Roast Pork (Pernil[/color])

4 1/2 pound skin-on pork shoulder roast (this is what we normally buy, but I’m sure that you can use the shank)
Wet Adobo
Adobo Mojado (Wet Adobo)

12 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 T fine sea or kosher salt
1 T black peppercorns
2 T dried oregano
2 T olive oil
2 T white wine vinegar

Pound garlic cloves and salt to a paste using a mortar and pestle.
Add the peppercorns and oregano, pounding well after each to incorporate them into the paste.
Stir in olive oil and vinegar.

Note: Wet adobo will keep 5 to 6 days in the refrigerator. Try it on fish, pork chops, steaks, etc.

Up to 3 days before you serve the roast, set the roast in a bowl skin side up. With paring or boning knife, make several slits about 1 1/2 inches deep through the skin of the roast and into the meat.
Make the slits as deep as you can. Wiggle a finger in the slits to open them up a bit, and then fill each with wet adobo, using a teaspoon.
Turn the roast over and do the same to all sides.
If you have adobo left over, rub it all over the outside of the roast. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 day or up to 3 days.
Preheat the oven to 450 deg. F.
Roast 1 hour, turn the heat down to 400 deg F and roast until the skin is deep golden brown and crackly and there is no trace of pink near the bone. About 1 1/2 hours.

IMPORTANT
Let the roast rest at least 15 mins before carving to allow internal juices to set.
If you carve right away, the juices will just run out of the roast and it will end up being dry and hard to carve.

I make a coffee based gravy with the pan drippings to go along with this roast. Instant coffee is best…regular or decaf, either one.
Add to taste.

To serve, remove the crispy skin. It will pull right off in nice, big pieces.
Cut them into pieces – kitchen shears are great for doing this – and pile them up on platter.
Carve the meat parallel to the bone all the way down to the bone. (It will get trickier to carve neat slices as you get near the bone; but just pull with fingers if you have to).

Note: A good rule of thumb for roasting pork is to cook the roast half an hour for every pound.

[color:"blue"]Life with my wife... It's not just a marriage, It's an Adventure![/color]
"Only Sailors Get Blown Offshore" <*}}}><{