Member Spotlight
Beansbbq
Beansbbq
New Hampshire
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
jeverny, JimE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (deliveryskipper, SeeDiver, Scott80), 743 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Martinique #80567
01/05/2016 03:07 PM
01/05/2016 03:07 PM
Washington, DC
Zanzibar Offline OP
Traveler
Zanzibar  Offline OP
Traveler
Washington, DC
Looking to do a weekend recon of Martinique later this month in order to find the ideal location for a family vacation next Christmas. With three younger children under seven, felt like it would behoove us to get the lay of the land before we head down there with kiddos in tow over the holidays.

Given our limited time on the ground for the recon coupled with a desire for some beach time ourselves, was hoping some of y'all could give me some direction so we do not spend all of our time in a car.

My thought is that if we can identify a good area to be in, I can then go to VRBO or some other such site and find a villa to rent. Our primary interests for the family trip will be beach, pool, snorkeling, and at least a few restaurant options. If beach and restaurants are walk-able, even better.

Appreciate any thoughts. Happy New Year to all.

Sponsors
Re: Martinique [Re: Zanzibar] #80568
01/05/2016 10:27 PM
01/05/2016 10:27 PM
SXM
dlbert Offline
Traveler
dlbert  Offline
Traveler
SXM
The best area is the South and South West.

Going clockwise, starting at St Anne (la plage des Salines) and moving westwards along the south cost, don't miss St Luce a lovely fishing village, move to Le Diamant, picturesque but no good for swiming, Les Anes d'Arlet move up the West coast Anse Dufour and swim with Turtles, Anse à l'Ane and then Anse du Bout opposite Fort de France.

Forget renting a house one the beach, most beaches are dangerous at night due to drug trafficking. Rent a house slightly inland and on hill to get the cool brises.

To eat, Grande Anse "Chez Claude et Fab", Anse du bout "Zandoli" and "Soleil couchant".

Do you speak a little French, Martiniquais don't speak much English but they are adorable, really nice people...

Re: Martinique [Re: dlbert] #80569
01/06/2016 08:54 PM
01/06/2016 08:54 PM
Washington, DC
Zanzibar Offline OP
Traveler
Zanzibar  Offline OP
Traveler
Washington, DC
Great scoop and thanks. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Still doing my homework but like what I see about Les Salines. Appears the water is fairly calm and not too windy. I speak very little french but know enough to greet folks, etc.

Re: Martinique [Re: Zanzibar] #80570
01/07/2016 12:48 PM
01/07/2016 12:48 PM
SXM
dlbert Offline
Traveler
dlbert  Offline
Traveler
SXM
If you are looking at Xmas, you may have to rent for the full 2 weeks. Most owners do not like splitting the Xmas vacation because they cannot rent a single week.

Beware, rental prices are at their highest at Xmas.

The area you should look at is on a straight line from St Luce to Le Diamant, about 1 km inland so that you are a little higher that the sea. You should manage to find place with a pool. Look out at the number of rooms and bathrooms and at the reviews. If you go thru VRBO you will get everything translated in English, including the listings on french sites such as ABRITEL. Try leboncoin.fr also.

Another good option is traveling with another family or your parents, you get a better deal renting a big property made up of several houses and a great pool. Let me know if you find this option interesting, I can think of a few good places.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva