They say there are two classes of sailor. Those who admit they have run aground and those who lie about it. I am proud to say that after 15 years I am not a member of either class . . . until this trip that is . . .

As we retrieved anchors in White Bay to head over to Great Harbor we found a large sloop had anchored square across the middle of the channel. Trey managed to clear it with inches to spare off their transom as the offending crew glared on. I decided I would give them a little more room but as I turned to line up just left of the green marker the boat lurched to a halt. The rudder was hard aground on the reef. Fortunately with the help of a dinghy to control the bow and hauling in the Genoa tight to heel the boat we made it off fairly easily but the ride over to Great harbor was a contemplation of the loss of my security deposit.

Little comfort but the very next day another boat attempting to get around a day trip boat anchored in the middle of the channel ran aground in exactly the same place.

Tonight was to be shrimp Creole night so I set aside my worry over the grounding and set to making a roux. A roux consist of butter and flour. I had plenty of butter but no flour! Sent a volunteer in to borrow a cup of flour from Corsairs and assigned the crew to peeling 8 pounds of shrimp. Now 8 pounds of shrimp makes an amazing amount of Creole but some how it all disappeared by the time the meal was over.

Thursday was an easy day. We sailed over to Sandy Cay and walked the trails then by popular demand returned to White bay for another afternoon at the Soggy Dollar. I on the other hand remember little after walking up to Seddy’s and settling in my big chair cradling a bushwhacker. I do remember waking up a while later to find Raquel standing over me with a wake up bushwhacker. This time, after helping Seddy pull another boat of the reef, I lined up square down the middle between the markers on the way back to great harbor and diner at Corsairs. From now on even if it is the USN Carl Venson anchored in the channel I am going to yell at them to move! Corsairs was a nice mellow meal. The only thing missing was Vennie who was back in Colorado.

Friday we sailed back to Cane Garden bay and lacking the 900 pound handicap gave Trey some decent competition. Ashore we bought more beer at Bobbys for 1/3 more than RTW and ice at Rhymers. (Ice was up $2/bag over last Fall.) The TTOL welcome back party at Myett’s for Mal and Candace was great with a big crowd. I got in a little argument with Lucky who decided to have the last word by leaving a small memento down the back of my shirt. We ate steaks on board and despite my stressing the importance of getting to Quito’s before the cover charge started we managed to get back ashore just after all the other TTOLers had retired.

Friday we stopped at Sopers Hole for more water and fuel. (My boat was still working on the tanks we filled at Leverick while Trey was empty after 3 fill ups.) After lunch at Pussers we headed back to the Bight for the second part of our tradition, closing up Willy T on the last night. Ruth went in to the WT early and took command of the bar. After eating the remains of the refrigerator we went aboard. It was a large and diverse crowd aboard the Willy T that night. Most notable to me was a guy who insisted on buying my pipe. After several attempts he offered me $200. By then I was running several crew burned out back to the boat so I just gave it to him as I had 3 more on the boat but he insisted on paying me $100. (I think I paid $60 for it 4 or 5 years ago.)

The other notable was a group of Eastern Europeans, Czech or Lithuanians I guess. All I can say is Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd had it nailed! Watching these guys be “cool” was a trip!

Sunday morning we were up early and heading for Sopers Hole to drop some crew for the 9AM ferry then headed back to nanny Cay to turn in the boats. We had thought that filling up at Sopers the Day before would save some time but Horizon still wanted us to top up at the Nanny Cay fuel dock. That turned out to be another kink in our grand plan. One of Trey’s water tanks was empty again and filling a 125 gallon tank from a hose that barely flows 2 GPM takes for ever. We were at the fuel dock at 9AM and barely made the noon ferry.

Luckily Smith’s noon ferry was running so we were spared the stops at Cruz Bay and Red Hook and had plenty of time at STT before boarding. I discovered a little restaurant up on the hill just past the parking area that has a great menu. If you have the time it is much more pleasant than the snack bars in the airport.

Made it back to my own bead about midnight after a successful if exhausting trip.

Quote of the trip. My daughter in law's sister whom I thought a shy reserved girl about the performance of our boat, It's About Time.: "I know why they named this boat. Because when we get there everyone says 'S%#T! It's about time!'"

I go to come back!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain