Here is the report. Wrote it on the plane ride home so I had alot of time.

Trip Report, Wed 5/27 – Tue 6/2

Our long awaited kids free trip to St. Maarten was ready to begin. Bags were packed, passports updated, Grandparents waiting to watch the little monsters. Only thing missing was DH. Decided to work till 12:00 midnight before we leave. Yes, he can be that annoying. Stuff whatever he thinks is needed in the suitcase and drifts off to sleep dreaming of stress free days on the beautiful island we are traveling to.

Ring, Ring, Ring, 3:00am alarm goes off and DH is smiling in his deep slumber. Now I think is the perfect time to play wack-a-mole with him and clobber his lovely noggin with a wake-up smash. Headache or not, he is well out of bed and ready to go by 4:00am. Amazing what a determined DW and a soft hammer can do to delirious men.

Pick up SIL/BIL and travel incident free all the way to St Martin. Beautiful arrival, we can hardly contain our glee as we pass over Maho Bay and the famous Sunset Bar and Grill. Since our rooms would not be ready till 4:00, and we were out of the terminal in radiant sunshine, we drive over for a couple of tasty and cold Carib’s to begin the vacation. Pleasantly buzzed after a few cold ones, at 3:30 we decide to make the 10 min trip to the Flamingo Beach Resort, our soon to be paradise away from home. Did I tell you traffic stinks in St Maarten?

Not a good start. We head back towards Simpson Bay and the traffic comes to a standstill just after the Food Express near the Driftwood Bar. Did I mention that traffic stinks in St Maarten. Thirty minutes later we make Uncle Harrys Bar, a scant ½ mile down the road. DW needs a pee break and it’s HH so we have another Carib. Ahhhhh…let the traffic pass as Happy Hours sets in. Infused with new energy, we venture out for the short ride to the Flamingo. Well …. to make a long story short, it took 2 hours to get from Uncle Harry’s to Billy Folly Road, and we checked in at 6:00pm with full bladders and less gas in the island car. Everyone we asked about it said “Oh, that’s just the Cole Bay roundabout construction traffic??”

We rented a car from Lesley at Kennys Car Rentals. If you do not use him you are missing out. Simply the best, car right there on time, quick check and off we go. Phone rental from Sharon, she truly is the Queen of SXM as we were ably served by her and her staff. The phone was an absolute necessity and we kept on recharging money it was so handy. Shame GP’s at home couldn’t figure out the calling card, but that is a different story.

Dinner at Cherie’s for the great show, started at 8:15 and lasted till 10:00. Food was decent, service was not bad, show was fun. Not too crowded, no wait for tables, parking in the Sonesta garage was $3.00. Tantra had their Wednesday ladies night at 10:00, but the doors were closed and no one there so it was off to rest our travel weary bodies.

Day 2 awake, great fresh croissants and pastries from the French bakery right at the Pelican. DW was primed to hit the jewelry shops in Phillipsburg. Did I mention traffic in St Maarten is horrible. One hour later we find a parking spot on the street and head to our favorite store. Oh no, shop gates are closed. What’s happening? Must be lunch and with no cruise ship in town. DH says stores are closed but should reopen – a feeble attempt to bolster my suddenly sinking excitement. We find out that all the shops are closed in protest of the lack of police action following a murder and shooting of one of the merchants. DH is chirping yippee . no jewelry expense .. more Caribs. We slide over to the Greenhouse for lunch in its nearly empty restaurant. Mahi sandwich was good, DW had a gyro.

We had agreed to meet SIL at SSBR at 3:00 to see the KLM 747 land. No problem, shops are closed, should be a quick run to the bar. WRONG. 1 hour later we make SSBR from Phillipsburg, a scant 5 min before the landing. Oh well, DH had his fix, saw the plane land and takeoff, really amazing.

Dinner that night was at Pineapple Petes. Lobster thermidor – enough said. Try it and you won’t forget it. DH had the grouper stuffed with crabmeat. First bite was grouper and imitation crabmeat. A little excavation revealed lots of imitation crabmeat. First time DH ever sent back a meal, as he expected real crabmeat. Waiter was nice, new food came out quickly. Met a cute couple from Wisconson, we traded Petron shots. Checked out The Red Piano Bar – fun sing along music.