A recap of our approximately 25th trip to SXM – November 13 to November 27, 2015.
We live outside of Philadelphia and find it convenient and less expensive to travel from Newark, NJ. Took American; to Charlotte, and on to SXM.
Our first week was spent with Chloe and Thierry at Club Fantastico. First night there, Chloe had a lovely “welcome party.” Wonderful guests, including Ursula. After some drinks and snacks we headed to bed and much needed sleep.
Day 1. Up early and into Marigot. Breakfast at La Crossanterie, a tried and true breakfast spot for us for nearly 30 years. Larry had a ham and cheese crepe; I had eggs; fresh OJ and coffee. Such a lovely couple who run this place. It would be so nice if they could bring Marigot back to it’s original splendor. After breakfast we happened to be walking right past the Longchamp shop and, well, c’mon this was my 60th birthday; 30th wedding anniversary trip after all. Bought a cute bag! That afternoon rented chairs at Pedro’s $15 for chairs, umbrella and drink.
Day 2. Breakfast in. After some time at the pool, headed to Yellow Sub for a burger..One classic burger and one goat cheese burger; rum punch and Presidente for $31. Dinner sandwiches and salad at Club F; enjoying a bottle of wine by the fire pit. Nice way to end the day.

Day 3. My birthday ! Yay. Our anniversary ! Took a drive around the island to see what’s new. Stopped at an old favorite, Mark’s Place, for lunch. Ribs and creole chicken, with the best scalloped potatoes on the planet, two iced tea for $35 w/ tip. That evening we went to Le Tastevin for our birthday/anniversary dinner. Thirty years ago, on our honeymoon, we had dinner here and hadn’t been back since. Had a romantic table near the water. I had onion soup, Larry had lobster soup. I had the filet and Larry had duck. Both were excellent. Pina Colada; vodka, glass of wine $137 with tip. Excellent dinner, fabulous service. Topped off with their own homemade ginger spice rum. So good, in fact, we bought a bottle to take back !

Day 4 . Breakfast and lunch at Club F. We bought rotisserie chicken and potatoes from Macaroon for dinner later that night (we also bought some Macaroons for dessert…duh). Pedro’s for the day.
Day 5. Breakfast at Paradise View. A visit with Bernadine and a contribution to her efforts of taking care of the animals. Crepe and eggs, coffee, OJ - $30. Drove into Phillipsburg and visited Caribbean Gems (birthday/anniversary, remember )…Hubby bought me a beautiful diamond and topaz bracelet. We had lunch at Ocean Lounge. Shrimp appetizer, soup, chicken satay, drinks $70. Stopped at Super U at the way home. It’s a great store! Had fun browsing here. Leftovers for dinner tonight.
Day 6. Spent the day lounging at the pool with the other lovely guests at Club F. Dinner that night was Al Dente. Fabulous Italian restaurant; highly recommend. We shared an antipasto – delicious, fresh ingredients; fettuchine Bolognese and strip steak pizziola with spaghetti; two drinks; and wine. Dessert was vanilla gelato with cherries. Great service. Bill was $107 including tip.
Day 7. Today was our moving day to Club Orient. Bid our friends adieu.

Day 8. We were in #115 deluxe mini suite. Lovely room, recently redone…clean, fresh. Spent the day on the beach. Stayed home for dinner; made pork chops and had a bottle of wine. Nice quiet evening.
Day 9 . Beach day. Breakfast in room. Lunch – leftovers! Dinner was at Villa Pizza. Pepperoni pizza, warm goat cheese salad, iced tea, Heineken $31 with tip . We love this little place in Cul De Sac!
Day 10. Breakfast at St. Maarten Yacht Club. We both had the drunken pancakes with bacon $35 with tip. Saw lots of yachts, including Johnny Depp’s yacht. I spent the rest of my vacation searching for Johnny . Lunch in the unit. That evening was Club O’s wine and cheese party. Afterwards, we stayed for the buffet dinner. Ribs, chicken, sides, etc. It was very good and was $20 each.
Day 11. Breakfast in room and then a trip into Marigot for the market. Larry likes to buy a new T-shirt each year at the Secret Spot. They always have such great designs and colors. Lunch was back in the room and then spent the afternoon at the beach. Dinner was at LaEscapade in Grand Case. Have never eaten here before. We had planned on dining at Piazza Pascale, however, they were closed. Had a nice meal of onion soup, filet mignon, roasted chicken in mushroom sauce, two drinks and wine. Total of $99 with tip.
Day 12. Thanksgiving Day! First time ever away from home for Thanksgiving. We had a lovely meal at Club O. They did a great job on their buffet ($30 per person). In fact, I said to Larry I think their turkey dinner is even better than mine! There was roasted turkey, baked ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans and carrots. Pumpkin pie for dessert.
Day 13. Time to say goodbye until next time. Left by 10 am to get gas, drop off phone, and go to the airport. Lunch at Jonny Burger and then onto our United Flight back to Newark, NJ.

All in all, it was another memorable trip. However, on our 6th day there, received a call from home that my mother was taken to the hospital. She is 95, so it was worrisome. Was in touch with home every day and once we felt she was stable began to relax. We didn’t know, for the first three days, if we would need to come home. With aging parents, you never know what will happen. Happy to report, she’s fine now!
The weather was great! The only times it rained were at night, so that was perfect. Club O’s beach is almost non-existent at this time. Two rows of chairs, but they were barely squeezed in there. However, there is nothing more relaxing to us than spending the day on that lounge chair, under that yellow umbrella, letting our cares melt away….Until next time…

..."there's this one particular harbor"....