pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (Memphré, magpie, jaxon60, Midsouth, TravelHat, eightzerobits, GeorgeC1, sugarae, xrayman67, LINNY, SXMScubaman, Standrea, ericlut, SXMBND, Kennys, bailau, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, BHK, 11 invisible), 982 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe #99235
06/01/2016 06:27 PM
06/01/2016 06:27 PM
Arlington, TX
Mrs_Monkey_Feet Offline OP
Traveler
Mrs_Monkey_Feet  Offline OP
Traveler
Arlington, TX
Getting ready for our Croatia charter and figuring out how much cash to bring. Despite many bareboat trips, this will be our first with a captain. What is the expectation for tipping our captain? I've asked the charter company but they said there were no guidelines and tipping is at our discretion. I don't want to that "cheap American" but also don't want to hand over a flat percentage if that is not the norm over there. Any ideas??

Sponsors
Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: Mrs_Monkey_Feet] #99236
06/02/2016 06:52 AM
06/02/2016 06:52 AM
Annapolis
Eva Offline
Traveler
Eva  Offline
Traveler
Annapolis
We tipped as if we were in the Caribbean -- which is to say 10-15% of our charter fee in cash. I don't remember whether this was suggested to us, or whether we concluded this on our own. And since we handed it to our captain in an envelope, which he didn't open in our presence, I didn't get to see his reaction. (Sorry, not very helpful.) FWIW, we were with Sunsail.

I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)
Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: Eva] #99237
06/02/2016 02:32 PM
06/02/2016 02:32 PM
Devon, UK
salica Offline
Traveler
salica  Offline
Traveler
Devon, UK
Just google tipping in Croatia, although you won't get a definitive answer. Tipping is not expected on the level that Americans commonly do. In restaurants, if good service is had (but remember there is a difference between what Amricans perceive as good service and what many Europeans call good service) 10% is welcomed. There is no necessity to tip for a drink at a bar.
This doesn't help with tipping your charter captain however, and Eva's suggestion of putting the tip in an envelope, is sensible.
A slight side note that is a little quirky: Croatians see it as rude to leave any food on the plate, so if the captain cooks for you, try to eat it all!

Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: salica] #99238
06/02/2016 09:03 PM
06/02/2016 09:03 PM
Arlington, TX
Mrs_Monkey_Feet Offline OP
Traveler
Mrs_Monkey_Feet  Offline OP
Traveler
Arlington, TX
Thank you. All good info. I had 10% in mind but for no real reason at all. I had also thought it was a bit different than US/Caribbean. Again, just don't want to be those folks that the captain thinks "jeez, what a$$holes".

Any other Croatian quirky info is appreciated! Can't wait!

Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: Mrs_Monkey_Feet] #99239
06/03/2016 07:38 AM
06/03/2016 07:38 AM
Annapolis
Eva Offline
Traveler
Eva  Offline
Traveler
Annapolis
Be ready to feel crowded, especially in marinas and town quays, where the boats are pushed together tightly. But, the closeness does not require getting to know your neighbors -- if they are Europeans, they tend to NOT see you.

Most of the charter boats leave the bases on the same day, so if you want to beat the pack, leave as soon as you can (unless, of course, you like the party scene), and go somewhere off the beaten path.

Invite your captain to use his local knowledge, like local restaurants up in the hills. The experience can be magical. Eat as much local food as you can -- it's reminiscent of Italian food, with twists. See if you can go somewhere and enjoy a peka, but know that it requires ordering ahead. The octopus prepared that way is a revelation, and the lamb is terrific.

If at all possible, have your skipper secure a place to moor/dock so that you are not stuck in a miserable roll-y anchorage. We often had to grease the palms of the harbormasters, but it was worth it.

I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)
Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: Mrs_Monkey_Feet] #99240
06/04/2016 10:41 AM
06/04/2016 10:41 AM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
This has been discussed many times, but now I too wonder as we will have a skipper for an upcoming Greece trip due to the European rules.

Years ago we did a crewed Charter in the BVI and tipped on the total charter price. Have bare boated ever since.

However, I'm inclined to only tip the skipper on the charges for his rate/services, not the entire charter rate. It isn't his boat. And he is being compensated for his services at a defined rate in the charter contract.

Interested in other opinions and experience too.

JPH
I spent my money on booze, broads, and boats...the rest I wasted.
Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: Mrs_Monkey_Feet] #99241
06/04/2016 10:46 PM
06/04/2016 10:46 PM
Colorado
DLJ Offline
Traveler
DLJ  Offline
Traveler
Colorado
I am anxious to hear about your upcoming charter in Croatia. We will bareboat out of Trogir in September, without a captain. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with good stories to tell. Can't wait to hear them.
Fair winds,
Dave

Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: DLJ] #99242
06/07/2016 03:54 PM
06/07/2016 03:54 PM
Texas
Whitesail Offline
Traveler
Whitesail  Offline
Traveler
Texas
We are bare boating out of Trogir the week after Mrs Monkey Feet with an ASA flotilla. We will try to pass on docking and marina fees and info as it appears to be lacking compared to BVI info.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: DLJ] #99243
06/07/2016 04:31 PM
06/07/2016 04:31 PM
Devon, UK
salica Offline
Traveler
salica  Offline
Traveler
Devon, UK
We did this a few years back from a marina just north of Trogir. We had a great time, but one week was not really enough for us. It took a full day to exit the estuary in which we started, and thus had to allow for this at the end of charter too. We decided to sail north as we had already spent a little time further south. Not sure this was actually a sensible option. It turned into being long, daily sails and being very, very aware that we had to be back at a specific time. I clearly recall pulling into a marina one night to be met by Americas Cup teams who announced that no way would they have sailed that day! We felt we had no alternative other than sailing overnight in less than ideal circumstances,
Having said this, we thoroughly enjoyed Croatia. It is a stunning country with beautiful scenery and fascinating history and I truly want to return.
Do not over plan and do not expect to travel too far would be my advice. I can't remember mooring fees, so therefore I don't think they were very much. We travelled in September and often experienced weather of four seasons in a day, so be prepared. We adored Trogir and spent a few days there at the end of charter. Gorgeous. All in all, I would do it again, but do not expect to go to far (or go to the islands to the south). This was about 6/8 years ago and provisioning was not the easiest, but plenty of opportunities to eat ashore most nights, Hope this helps. I dont want to put you off, just being realistic and telling of our experience.

Re: Tipping Charter Captain -Croatia/Europe [Re: salica] #99244
06/20/2016 12:31 PM
06/20/2016 12:31 PM
Devon, UK
salica Offline
Traveler
salica  Offline
Traveler
Devon, UK
Just been on a website looking for a week on a 5* small cruise around Croatia. They suggest a tip of €50 pp IF you wish to tip, but this is not obligatory. Hope this might prove a useful guide, though not exact of course.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill