LianeLeTendre said:
Elmtone1 said:
This is apparently a reference to sleepaboards the night before charter.

I kind of doubt that. A yacht is considered a floating accommodation and sleep aboards have been offered since the inception of the charter industry in the BVI.

Unless I was misinformed (by government) more than 20 years ago, the cruising tax was introduced as a "room tax" for yachts and the National Parks Trust mooring fee was initiated to cover the use of and costs related to maintaining the pubicly owned moorings at the various parks.

I think the reference is likely to be exactly what the article stated ... that some companies may be offering accommodations (not aboard yachts) without being properly licensed or registered as a villa, hotel or whatever.

Are we paying our "cruising tax" on the night before our charter contract starts at 12 Noon the next day? When the cruising tax started boats where much simpler and nothing like a hotel. Today many of the boats have 24/7 air-conditioning, electric flushing toilets, real showers, real hot water and lots of actual space. In the 80's we always did a night in a room the day before and after a trip and would never sleep on the boats at the dock. Today the sleep aboard is just a better all around experience the day before a charter.

I can see why the government will want to try and take another bite out of this much bigger apple.

I am still curios about the false claims on the website? What did those of us who "know everything" not catch here?