NCSailor said:
I don't think the charterers are irresponsible. Most are doing the best they can with their limited knowledge and ability. If you want to place blame look to the charter companies that have almost no standards for competence. When you rent a 40' or larger powercat to someone who regularly boats a 24' bowrider you know there is a good chance the boat will sustain damage.

Um, I think that's a little harsh. I do wish "some" companies would be more careful about vetting clients, but the companies I represent do a pretty good job of it. The odd one slips through the cracks from time to time, but it sure doesn't happen that often and when it does, it almost always turns out that the person stretched the truth (more than just a little bit) on their sailing resume.

Having said that, there are plenty of irresponsible charterers out there. Many of them will shop around until they are able to find someone who will charter them a yacht without a captain. I can't tell you how many charters I have turned away of the years due to insufficient experience. I like to be able to sleep at night.

I could tell you stories that would raise the hair on the back of your neck about charterers who believe there is very little to boating and that they will be just fine.

Just last Monday I had a guy who wanted to charter a Helia 44' cat. I asked if he had cat sailing experience. In a very condescending tone, he said (and I quote) ... "Honey, I have been sailing all my life, and probably longer than you've been alive. I am also the vice-commodore of our yacht club"

My reply was, "If you've been sailing longer than I've been alive, you should have more than enough experience!" (I'll be 62 in September)

I told him I would put the yacht on hold for him and send his paperwork within the hour. When he sent the completed paperwork back, on Thursday, it turned out that he was 36 years old and the largest sailboat he had ever sailed was a 26' monohull day-tripper (no auxiliary engine) but most of the time, he sailed a 16' Hobie Cat on Lake Michigan.

The point is that some people really do not know their own limitations and feel entitled to do as they please with someone else's very expensive property.

I didn't even bother sending the paperwork to the charter company. There was no point wasting their time as well as mine.

He was quite annoyed when I told him he would have to hire a captain for the duration of his charter. When I suggested that perhaps he could make it a fun family thing if he hired an instructor and everyone could learn to sail a larger yacht together (instead of just hiring a regular captain) ... he hung up on me.

I assure you I was in no way rude or condescending to him. I went out of my way to explain insurance requirements, safety standards, etc. He was having none of it.

This sort of thing happens far more frequently than you might think. I probably get three or four inquiries a week from people with similar requests and similar sailing experience who truly believe they have sufficient experience to charter something that is far beyond their capabilities.

But in the case of the MarineMax powercat, I'll wait to hear what actually happened. I am reluctant to condemn either the company or the skipper. A heart attack, seizure or other sudden onset illness are still within the realm of possibility until we hear otherwise.