I have spent the last 24 hours trying to get home from Nantucket, and spent last night in the JFK airport. I was also traveling during the Delta meltdown from almost two weeks ago. Here's what I've learned in no particular order. Note that I am Platinum Medallion, so it's possible that some of these perks were available to me because of that. I'm not sure.

1. Have the airline app on your phone. It is the best way to check flight status and view other flight options.

2. Know other options for getting there. Both on your airline (through another hub) and with other airlines.

3. Make sure your contact info is in your reservation, and sign up for notifications of flight changes in your profile.

4. Book directly with the airlines rather than Expedia, etc.

5. Have the airline's help desk numbers in your phone. Sometimes there is more than one option. In fact, Delta emailed me a specific number yesterday separate from the Platinum desk, and separate from an airport number that someone gave me years ago. Make sure the people you travel with also have the numbers, because you need to start calling immediately when you think there is going to be an issue.

6. As soon as I became worried that I wouldn't make my connection, I called Delta and was confirmed on a later flight without losing my existing reservation. The seats were held for me, but I only lost my seats when I actually missed my connection. I did this for 3 flights yesterday.

7. Be nice. They want to help you, but you're at their mercy as well.

I don't do Twitter, but Delta's email to me said that they were also available to help via Twitter. To me, the key is to know your options and act as soon as you start thinking there could be an issue. If it's weather related, a lot of people will be in the same boat, so call as soon as you can.

Hope none of this advice has to come in handy for you!