Just an FYI once you leave the Virgin Islands and the Carribean the formality of certification or a "licence" can be much more important to charter a self skippered boat. In Greece and across Europe something formal that demonstrates your competence can be a requirement. During our charters in Greece the last step in the checkout process is the charter operator takes all the completed paperwork to the "Port Captain" to gain his approval and stamp for the voyage. In our case Yacht Club Membership Cards have sufficed. Another twist on the power of the port captains in Greece. As their Meltemi winds fill in the Port Captain will order the harbor closed and no one leaves that day. My point; some parts of the world outside of the BVI can be much more formal here.

In my opinion any multi-day onboard sail training should start with some type of direct conversation with the individual instructor before anything is booked. There should be a clear understanding of the goals and the approach to be used before any agreement is reached. If you just want a piece of paper that is one goal; if you really want to learn and work on skills that may require a very different coach that meets the culture and learning style of all involved.

Is there a Virgin Island broker who has a practice that includes sail training? Any freelance sailing coaches that will join a group for a few days or a week? I do not count the marketing lead charter operators who will put any skipper they can find on your boat a reliable answer to the family looking for good coaching.

See the posts above the goals and quality are all over the charts.