Manpot said:
Went through the same nightmare in St Martin..soured me totally on the island..the officer was a full blown..nasty lady who would not help in any way and was furious when I finally got out of there to help Garvey bring his boat back to the BVI's..and then there's Montgomery at Immigration in STT...

It certainly can. We encountered an officer at a Canadian border crossing point that was so awful, I actually became scared. He peppered us with questions about gun ownership, refused to believe we weren't carrying Tabaco or booze. It's not that I objected to being asked about restricted items, it's the power trip he got on after we answered honestly. His questioning went on and on and on.

I come from a military family, I have family members in law enforcement and I have total respect for people doing difficult jobs but this crossed into an area where I felt he was looking for a reason to escalate the situation.

I travelled back and forth from East Germany in the 80s with my father, a German war refugee who became an American citizen so I know from difficult and stressful border crossings. I just never expected it as a middle aged mom going on a family vacay to Ontario. We are going again in May and I am already dreading the crossing.

Last edited by Cleobeach; 03/15/2017 07:21 PM.