GW248 said:
Thank you for posting - very interesting. Is the hotel they stayed at still in existence at Smuggler's Cove?

Well...yes and no. The structure that is still clearly visible is the restaurant and kitchen. That's where Uncle Bob's 'Queen's Lincoln' used to be. And also the Honor Bar, which he still stocked (ish) up until his death. That building was used in the filming of "The Old Man and the Sea", and some of the facades that they built are still around, in various states of decomposition.

The hotel rooms were in three structures to the west, down the beach. You can still visit them..although they're in the process of melting back into the beach. It's easier to try to follow the path from the restaurant, although you still might need a machete to get there.

Bob and Nell's house is directly up from the restaurant, up a very steep driveway. It is also melting into the hillside. When Nell broke her leg, they moved down to one of the hotel rooms, and abandoned the house. Uncle Bob never moved back up, even after Nell's death.

I first arrived in Tortola to work on the Flying Cloud in 1977. I had my own charter boat by 1979. For those of us around during that time, Smugglers Cove was a very wacky, very fun place. It was the embodiment of 'Don't Stop the Carnival'!

Like the end of all expat stories in the Caribbean, the end of Smugglers Cove Hotel was a little melancholy. The Kids weren't interested in running the place, and Nell had issues with the demon rum. Nell once famously told me at a party: "The only good guest is a dead guest!" Uncle Bob, a teetotaler, lost touch with reality, and firmly believed he was still running a 'resort', as the walls crumbled around him.

There was no one on earth who didn't love Uncle Bob. His landscaper/handyman continued to 'work' for him long after Bob stopped paying him.