I'm looking each day for flights, and after my initial excitement of flying direct from MIA to EIS, I realize that is not the way to go. We will be flying out of St Louis which is basically the end of a spoke in the airline system these days. What that means is we will need to fly to a hub, like ATL or CLT then get another flight to SJU and a third flight to EIS. I'm still searching but what about taking Southwest into SJU? Then we would have to catch one of the puddle jumpers to EIS of course. It seems easy on the trip down and we would like a few hours to mess around in San Juan or even spend the night there. I understand we would have to clear TSA again in SJU the next morning. My question is on the return trip. I think we could leave EIS around 10:30 but, once we get to SJU how much time would we need to clear customs/imigration, and then check into the next flight on a non-codeshare airline like Southwest? I'm sure someone on this forum has done this. Was it the worst idea ever? Any helpful pointers?
Thanks,
Robert