I concur with everyone on getting certified but I would recommend doing your checkout dives at home before going to the BVI. I say this for three reasons. The first reason is you'll arrive in the BVI and go straight to enjoying your dives instead of working on skills, paperwork, etc.

The second reason is, depending on where you live, most check out dives are performed in quarries, lakes, etc. While these do not have the visibility of the waters in the BVI there are no currents or swells to deal with. Also, quarries and lakes generally have docks and walk outs (i.e. stable platforms) whereas in the BVI you’ll most likely be doing your checkout dives from a dive boat which will be moving around. If you’re a strong swimmer these things might not matter but I know two people that said doing their check out dives at their vacation destination was more stressful than they wanted.

The last reason is you will have more time to spend with your loved ones/friends. Unless they are doing the checkout dives with you they will spend the first two days of their vacation doing things without you.

HTH!

I can also highly recommend Sail Caribbean Divers.