That is what happened to my original phantom, which is why I suggested not flying from the boat (and I did do it on a cat and had a fair amount of flight time - it all comes down to wind, which no amount of experience can account for). If however you do fly from the boat (taking off is pretty easy), the best way to land is to do it on the bow and just have someone grab it from underneath (would be hard to do underway). We did this on subsequent trips and I had my wife grab the bottom of it and I just had to get it to the edge of the boat - plenty of room for it to get pushed a little in any direction.

I actually did get mine to fly again - after it went in the water, I dove in after it, unplugged the battery and rinsed it off with fresh water - probably should have rinsed it even more then I did. There was a fair amount of corrosion on some components. I replaced all those that we're broken (at a lesser cost then replacing the whole drone) but I've never really fully trusted it since.

I got the splashdrone after that and while it flies well and I have taken some good pictures with it and it is of course water proof, I was never truly happy with the gimbal. It would twitch at times so I'd never get fully smooth video. I think my next one will be the mavic pro with the insurance they offer.

Matt