11/06 - had a lovely breakfast here at ElZafiro and after that we took our first real ride around a bit of the island. Signs of progress everywhere but still so very much to be done. Hearing about what our beloved island went through just doesn’t tell the whole story. You really have to see it to understand and we didn’t even hit the French side yet. Much worse than what I recall when we first returned after Luis.

Lots of rain but the island is Ireland green. And those who referred in the past to Mullet Golf Course looking like a pasture - now it truly does. The roughs are about up to my knees and still people were playing. Couldn’t see much of the greens but the grass appeared to be higher than it should be.

Drove through the lowlands towards Sandy Ground and it is heartbreaking to see what was once Dreams. And in fact, things are so overgrown it was hard to tell if we were in the right place. We were aware Bruno was not reopening but we did hear rumors that Le Sand might?

Went into P’berg to see friends. The old car on Old Street is now truly looking and showing her age and was seriously beaten up by that b itch, Irma. Lots of businesses closed but more are reopening every day. The damage is evident everywhere you look but the people are mostly amazing. Their spirit and outlook is that of positivity even through their adversity.

Wanted to find Jean Pierre formerly of Antoine’s but sadly his eatery was closed. We grabbed a quick lunch at a sidewalk cafe that we must have walked by a hundred times and never noticed - the Front Street Cafe - and our sandwiches were delish. Not a place I would typically try since we usually opt for waterside but it was recommended. So glad we did......

We didn’t experience any traffic to speak of but our drive times and directions were opposite the island rush hours. People parking all over Front Street and still people just not getting hot to navigate the traffic circles.

It was a lovely first day though probably not the typical first day for most people. So I think today we will chill on our beach.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."