Originally Posted by ggffrr11
Anyone with any "dry ice" experience on this? We are flying out early am > SJU airport that night > don't get to the boat until evening day #2. Are they still hitting you with a "tax" at BVI customs on meat, etc? thx

Only did the cooler thing on one of 3 trips. Saved $$ but it was a PITA schlepping it and our luggage.

That said we did Toronto to CLT to STT to Tortola over 2 days. Stayed overnight in STT and ferried the next day to Tortola. I watched the CLT-STT baggage handlers load our cooler and noticed that the extra luggage straps i added were gone. TSA in Toronto or CLT had left a note in the cooler ("kilroy was here") but they kept the straps. On the return leg I duct taped new luggage straps to the cooler. ( I had taken extra straps to test as a "ladder" to get back into the dinghy after snorkeling...FAIL)

Once on our boat we found all food was still rock solid. In addition to our frozen goods I had packed 2 sheets of Techni-Ice (http://www.techniiceusa.com/ice-packs.html) that I had kept in our freezer for about 1 month. The theory is that somehow these sheets get colder than ice and stay frozen longer. That was our experience after a 2 day journey.

I gave away most of the 12 sheets that I bought. Subsequent usage saw me cut 2 cubes out for my step-daughter's post nose-job cooling.