Sorry for the confusion and not being clear! I didn't know my report would bring up so much. Our captain was not a paid captain, he was part of our group. He has been an avid sailor all of his life. I think he said that this trip was his 22nd trip down!

A few of us didn't want to spend the night at the dock so someone in our party called/contacted Cooper island and they said it appeared there were no balls left, he then got ahold of someone at the Willy T and they said from the looks of things there were two balls left to their knowledge. Our captain didn't want to take that risk.

Now knowing what we do, we think it would be the safest bet to go to Norman Island if this were ever to happen again as there were many open balls when we were there.

The replies on this thread reminded me of another situation that happened when we were in Great Harbor on Jost. Ten of our group were living it up on shore and the other four of us were having a nice dinner on board and it was just after sunset. A power cat came in and was circling and there were no mooring balls at all. After a while they just dropped their anchor in the middle of a bunch of boats on moorings. The boat started screaming at them and saying "is this your first f&$%ing time on a boat?!?!?" "Go to Sopher's Hole!" "You can't f*#&#ing drop anchor this close to all these boats". It was quite the scene. The power catamaran didn't know what to do so after a little while they went and tied onto the fuel dock for the rest of the night.