The last time we visited St. Barth's a white wine spritzer and a diet coke cost us $24 USD at the Nikki Beach Bar. Lunch -- nothing fancy -- was another $72. The taxi ride from the cruise port in Gustavia to St. Jean Beach was about a half mile in either direction, and cost $35 each way. I rarely complain about prices, but it's foolish to to spend money like this on St. Barth's when SXM offers so much more without the sickening ferry ride (especially going over) or the harrowing landing at their tiny airport. I'm not criticizing St. Barth's in any way, and if those with ample funds want to pay those kinds of prices let them. I suppose it's worth a one time look for those that are curious, but I'm quite sure we won't be going back any time soon.

What's kind of funny is when I talk to the locals in St. Martin about St. Barth's they smile and say "well, that's the French controlling prices over there so why don't you just stay here with us." And, when I would talk to the locals on St. Barth's they quickly try to point out the crime rate on St. Martin and say "you should come and stay here with us where it is safe!"