RonDon--It depends on the timeshare. SOME places, the AMF are way out of line with the other resorts on island, like Diamond. Before Diamond decided they were going to take 3 years to rebuild after Irma, you could almost ALWAYS rent someplace at Royal Palm or Flamingo for less than the AMF. Something wrong with that equation. Other places, like LaVista and LaVista Beach, have much more reasonable AMFs. For ME, timeshare never made sense, as I certainly don't need anyone to MAKE me take a vacation! grin And due to Eric's work schedule having to be coordinated with other people, he could not go at the same time each year (although we usually went on vacation for a week three times a year). With regard to SXM in particular, for years, we stayed on the French side, as was our preference and there was maybe ONE? t/s on the French side. And we wanted to go different weeks and stay at different places. So t/s made no sense for us, totally separate from the question of price paid. Over the years, I would say we've easily stayed at probably two dozen DIFFERENT places. And our wants and needs have changed drastically over the years. If we were ever tempted to buy t/s, which we never really were, we would only have bought at LaVista Beach. That is because of the ownership there. If you buy t/s in SXM, you have ZERO protection from the laws of SXM. Your ONLY protection is the integrity of the owner of the t/s resort. After Irma, the Summit is GONE, shoot can't think of the name of it, that other resort in Cupecoy is GONE, Diamond "owners" are scr*wed over until 2020, at least, the Towers? Who knows? Then there's Caravanseri. Then there's the Pelican, now SBR. On and on. You can judge a company by what happens when the WORST happens, which is Irma. LaVista and LaVista Beach began rebuilding right away and they are better than ever now. Other places, not so much.

Carol Hill