Last January (2018) we found that quite a few places were not yet fully up and running after Irma/Maria, some for example were just serving lunch and a limited menu. Almost every one of these however were more than happy for us to takeaway food in the early evening to eat aboard our boat.

...we came to rather like this as our evening routine. After all what better view is there than sitting in the cockpit on a mooring ball watching the sun go down!

2018 (first hand experience)
*Pirates Bight - Norman Island - More than happy for us to do this, we ordered early afternoon and then went ashore in the dinghy to collect just before sunset.
*Oil Nut Bay - we would have lunch at their beach club and spend the afternoon swimming with the turtles and then take a few pizzas back in the dinghy with us to North Sound.
*Trellis Bay - Place next to the market.
*Great Harbour - Jost Van Dyke - quite limited at the time so ended up getting stuff from about three different places, all of which was good and all the places were very happy for us to do so.

2019 (confirmed by Facebook messages from the restaurants)
*B-Line - Little Jost - We didn't go last year but I messaged them on FB a few weeks ago and they said that we can takeaway food this year, just order in the afternoon.
*Corsairs and Foxy's - GH Jost - As above, they actually both just responded to my FB to say they are happy to do takeaway this year, friendly responses in both cases).
*Leverick Bay - Very friendly response to my FB and happy to do takeaway this year. Even offered to email me the menu!
*Pirates Bight - Norman Island - Very friendly response to my FB and happy to do takeaway this year.
*Hendo's Hideaway - White Bay JVD - Super friendly and yes takeaway is always available.
*Marina Cay - yes but let them know earlier in the day.

I'm wondering if this was a post-hurricane attitude or whether places are still happy to do this (apart from B-Line, Corsairs, Foxy's, Hendo's, Marina Cay, Pirates & Leverick which are now all in the 'yes' column!). Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Just to add, this isn't a case of us trying to save $$$. We eat and drink ashore at lunchtime and during afternoons every day and put plenty of $ into the local economy! But come the evening...we found we much preferred eating aboard but didnt want the hassle of having to actually cook ourselves. Also no bugs and in the case of Pirates Bight we can actually converse over dinner rather than being hammered by that full-volume music!

From the restaurants perspective, ok they get less $ from us as we aren't ordering drinks in the evening but they do get an extra table to fill with other people. We also always order to collect before service starts, so it doesnt put extra pressure on them. AND we always tipped well even though we were taking the food away in recognition of them allowing us to in the first place!

***Edit*** - I seem to be slowly answering my own question here with all the friendly FB responses I am receiving. Hopefully this info will be helpful to others so I will keep updating the list above!

Last edited by Christo; 02/28/2019 11:03 AM.