Alexander, My husband and I have been coming to SXM for many years. We don't walk around holding hands but I think it's pretty obvious to most that we are a couple. We have never felt uncomfortable and, in fact, have, more often than not, been embraced as a couple. Pre Irma, Cupecoy beach was the place to go as gay men, always a fair number of us (as long as there was sand - and that changes on a daily basis).

I agree with what others have said above. Definitely rent a car. Definitely eat at Bistrot Caraibes. It's on the expensive side but definitely with the splurge. Piazza Pascal in Grand Case is also highly recommended. Good Italian food with a flair and reasonable too. We would also suggest Bar Code Very good food at very reasonable prices and a great laid back place.

Since we own a timeshare at Simpson Bay Resort we always stay there and only have great things to say about it. In fact we're going to buy a 4th week. There are a couple of Simpson Bay Resort Facebook pages where owners post their units for rent and you can usually find a very nice unit (1 bedroom 1 bath full kitchen, big balcony overlooking the ocean for $1,100 to 1,500 a week. I recommend the Simpson Bay area as it's full of activities and you can walk to most everything. (especially since drinking and driving is a really bad idea here and everywhere).

If you have and question, be sure and let us know!

George & John