Originally Posted by RickandJulie

My only concerning comments are after strolling Front Street and talking to a lot of the shop owners is they are very concerned about the lack of traffic. We expected it to be mobbed but there was hardly anybody in the shops. They are saying that people are coming in to enjoy the air conditioning but then leaving without buying anything. We finally left after we kept getting harassed by street solicitors trying to hand you a card and get you to come into their shop. One theory we heard from some cruise ship passengers we sat beside at lunch was that the new ships have so much shopping available right on the ship that no one feels excited about shopping in the various ports of call.

[quote=BillandElaine
Have friends with jewelry shops on Front Street. They have said in the past they don't make $$ off the ships, it is the repeat stay over folks where they make their $$

This has been my gripe with cruisers for many years. I have witnessed many and they are not helping the economy in SXM. Mega ships just add to the misery of traffic, mobbed beaches and trust me, they don't spend a dime. Plus, they leave their garbage all over! The people that support SXM's economy are the visitors. time share owners ,in hotels, expats, these are the people that are helping after Irma. Don't think because Maho Beach is packed that they are making a killing. I know some one who worked there and the only spenders are at the bar. 75% don't purchase chairs, they lay on the ships towels. Who needs them?