Scurvy, and Warren, .

Interesting about your comments about keeping people safe is questionable and, that some of the others here have posted constructive information to help with that Important info as to safety, as well, .

Scurvy: Nice photo of your catamaran,. Pretty evident that vessel is not sailing, the vessel has the main up, and the jib appears to be back winded,, and the the throttles are full forward so it would look the catamaran has a bow wave and
undersail. And by looking at the water, it is flat no wind.

Warren, a question for you, your are from windsor, ontario canada..... exactly what do you know about sharks.. You were trying to imply that that I stated the swimmer was taken by a shark. I did not say that.,
All of the information was to alert and help people to stay safe in ocean waters everywhere. There is a lot for the responsible skipper to be aware of.

I will give you a little shark story or two, one was in the BVI at the Bight on Norman Island. We have dove and swam with sharks in Australia and Tahiti.

As Local Sailor stated, we professional skippers care about ocean safety and not only our charter people but everyone out there. Skippers responsibility is of extreme importance.

My back ground, been professionally sailing for nearly 40 years. I am U.S.C.G. lic. captain, actually Merchant Marine Officer. It took 720 days at sea, documented time just to sit for the original 100 ton lic. We have
to renew that lic every 5 years with sea time and or testing. I have my 5 th issue, and the U.S.C.G boosted it up to 500 tons. ( never skippered anything close to that, but I want others to understand that those of us
who are professional or highly experienced skippers actually care very much about everyones safety. And we will sound off about it.

Been sailing the BVI, Australia , Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, Calif Coast and Channel Islands, The Bahamaa, BVi ( 16 trips ), the French West Indies, the Windards and Grenadines, Ireland an Greece. it has been
a marvelous career as a Sailing Instructor, Charter Capt, and Flotilla Leader. And that is professionally .

Thankfully, many here do understand what Skippers Responsibility is. Primary is the safety of the vessel and each and every person on board at all times.

We have been fortunate to have scuba dived the great barrier reef and coral sea , and swam with huge sharks, sting rays and mantas. No biggie, but there are procedures to follow. And we paid attention to the dive masters briefings..

THE BVI. And the promised shark story.

We were sailing the BVI with another couple, and we were moored quite a way out at the Bight , at Norman Island. We had bbq'd steaks the night before. I know, some will say SO WHAT !
I was up at the bow, ready to release our double bridles. Oooppps...... I forgot something.

The the other couple was back in the cockpit hualing up the dink.

I stopped at releasing the bridles. " Let's dump out those BBQ coals, so that they don't start swirling around when we are sailing.

OK, they remove the BBQ, and shake it out.

Within , a minute or less, five reef sharks were in a feeding frenzy off the stern of our our boat. They were going nuts. Know why ? Because they could smell the
blood from the steaks that had dripped on to the coals and ashes. Any body in the water, in the middle of that crazy, speeding, nutso shark frenzy would have
been torn to shreds.

So, I also advise my flotila skippers, do not shake out that BBQ, with anyone in the water, and that includes swimmers from other boats in the area.

In 34 years, that was my only shark encounter in the BVI....but it was a lesson that I have not forgotten.

Yep that post on ocean swimming safety was long, but it was meant to save lives or injuries and heart ache.

Others have contributed helpful and factual comments as well.