Our youngest son just completed his doctorate at UCal-San Francisco last fall, and when we visited him and his girlfriend they were telling us about a motorcycle accident that recently occurred near his lab in the Mission Bay area. In San Francisco, and I assume elsewhere in California, motorcycles and motor scooters can travel between lanes of traffic at will. When we have rented a car there in the past we have always looked out for that. But, this time a motorcycle was moving at a fast rate of speed between lanes of traffic that had stopped because on congestion. Well, someone opened the driver's side door without checking the side mirror and the bike struck the door at full speed. The motorcyclist went air-born for an unknown distance before striking the rear of a Fed Ex truck that was stopped. DOA. Never could understand why this is permitted there, and I highly doubt his was an isolated incident. Seen many close calls on SXM, but I hope I never have to witness something like that on future visits to either California or St. Maarten.