Originally Posted by boom2it
Yeah pretty sure they still red line Eustatia Sound, I am just curious what the anchoring areas in Deep Bay and Eustatia are like. I have heard good things about anchoring in the Eustatia Sound but haven't heard anything about Deep Bay?

Simply go to the Navionics chart viewer web application. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@11&key=%7Dx%7DoBjhvgK

It's called Deep Bay for a reason. You need to get fairly far into the bay to get to 15'-16' depth. They still had swim zone buoys off the beach as of a couple months ago so tough to get into water less than 13 feet deep.

Even moderate NE to E winds funnel into the bay so it can be lumpy at anchor. Some swell can also make its way in (which can also make the T-docks at ONB a bit bouncy). Frankly I don't find it that scenic as the beach has not been cleaned up since Irma and the surrounding hills block the sunrise/sunset plus you have several boats ferrying workers to/from the ONB marina with the associated construction. Stargazing can be good though.

If it's a calm night (<10 kts), I do like anchoring my boat in Eustacia Sound. You see on the chart that most of the anchoring spots in sand away from the coral heads are also in pretty deep (25'+) water. I put out a 88 lb Rocna with 200'+ of chain to sleep soundly.

As noted, I suspect Eustacia Sound is redlined for bareboaters by most, if not all, charter companies.